tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around where I live there are old dump sites that date from the late 19th to early 20th century. The folks that tossed most of this trash in various places were the coal miners that pretty much first flooded the area at the turn of the century. Most of those mines came to a close around the 1930s with only a few that ran into the 1950s. There are old rail spurs that serviced these mines out back of me and you can eyeball loads of rail spikes all over. In the dumps that have been now plowed over for many decades you'll find evidence of what these people tossed away. I found what was left of a cast iron toy train which I believe was made in around 1903 by the Arcade Mfg in Freeport, Illinois and a rail car brake shoe that most likely came off a car that hauled the coal out of a mine site called the Mitchell.

Attachments

• 20220526_125520.jpg
    20220526_125520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220526_153413.jpg
    20220526_153413.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Arcade-Train-A-no-102.jpg
    Arcade-Train-A-no-102.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 44

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around where I live there are old dump sites that date from the late 19th to early 20th century. The folks that tossed most of this trash in various places were the coal miners that pretty much first flooded the area at the turn of the century. Most of those mines came to a close around the 1930s with only a few that ran into the 1950s. There are old rail spurs that serviced these mines out back of me and you can eyeball loads of rail spikes all over. In the dumps that have been now plowed over for many decades you'll find evidence of what these people tossed away. I found what was left of a cast iron toy train which I believe was made in around 1903 by the Arcade Mfg in Freeport, Illinois and a rail car brake shoe that most likely came off a car that hauled the coal out of a mine site called the Mitchell.
That's a cool looking toy train

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW
What a neat find!
I love finding toys makes me think of who lost it - was he or she a future engineer…?
Yeah I do wonder also. Seems marbles and little bisque dolls were what kept the imagination of the Victorian era children entertained. I'm sitting right now with my grandson who I pick up toys at the thrift store for. He has this thing about all things waist management and trash. He loves garbage trucks and uses words he learns from them like , spill kit, hydraulics, cab, engine and compression body to name a few. We watch videos of garbage trucks, recycle centers and landfills.

Attachments

• 20220529_141500.jpg
    20220529_141500.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I do wonder also. Seems marbles and little bisque dolls were what kept the imagination of the Victorian era children entertained. I'm sitting right now with my grandson who I pick up toys at the thrift store for. He has this thing about all things waist management and trash. He loves garbage trucks and uses words he learns from them like , spill kit, hydraulics, cab, engine and compression body to name a few. We watch videos of grabarge trucks, recycle centers and landfills.
I have kept some of the toys from my son and daughter - keep them in my toy box of my youth..., I used to hide in it as a kid...!
Yeah finding even fragments of these toys, while out detecting, give cause to wonder about the child - family groups or single household...of long ago...!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I do wonder also. Seems marbles and little bisque dolls were what kept the imagination of the Victorian era children entertained. I'm sitting right now with my grandson who I pick up toys at the thrift store for. He has this thing about all things waist management and trash. He loves garbage trucks and uses words he learns from them like , spill kit, hydraulics, cab, engine and compression body to name a few. We watch videos of grabarge trucks, recycle centers and landfills.
Nice looking grandson tamrock.Mine is into zombies,we got toy zombies all over the house.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I do wonder also. Seems marbles and little bisque dolls were what kept the imagination of the Victorian era children entertained. I'm sitting right now with my grandson who I pick up toys at the thrift store for. He has this thing about all things waist management and trash. He loves garbage trucks and uses words he learns from them like , spill kit, hydraulics, cab, engine and compression body to name a few. We watch videos of garbage trucks, recycle centers and landfills.
Very nice great post Tamrock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread