Rembrandt Etching?

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this Rembrandt etching...
A friend of mine picked it up at the longest yard sale, on Hwy. 127 in Ohio, for $2 and was wanting me to see if I could find out any information about it. He thinks it might be from the Orient due to the marking on it... He said you could see some sort of lines going down the edges of the paper when held up to the light...
Any help, info, would be greatly appreciated... Thanks...
Rembrandt.jpg Rembrandt_Mark.jpg
Rembrandt2.jpg Rembrandt_No.jpg

Looks like "No. 281" is located on the lower left hand side...

S

stefen

Most likely you're seeing the outline of the etching plate...and the number is (maybe, probably) a series such as 281/1000.

Should have it authenticated and appraised by a professional art appraiser...could be a fake and then again, it could be the real thing.

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
You have either a print number 381/500 or whatever, or a plate from a sale catalogue Lot No.381, from a sale of the original at one time or another. Pre modern printing, the black and white prints in sale cats from the 1700s-1920ish were superb. As these were sent world wide, and the only method of judging art from a distance, every care was taken to make them look sweet.

Although not valuable, they are prized by art students and collectors alike for their true representation of the original.

They look great in a good frame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread