Remind me why I metal detect?

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not a viable hobby. You will not make any money, maybe enough to pay for your equipment.

The time spent is outrageous. The time taken away from family time can be painful… It’s not that physical, so you’re not really getting much exercise.

The bugs can be bad, and you could end up getting hurt by dogs or other misadventure.

You have to put up with curious people asking you idiotic questions. You will attract other metal detectors as friends but they will learn your locations and take your finds.

It’s somewhat embarrassing when you’re asked about your hobby in front of others and having to recall all your interesting finds to defend your time spent to your peers.

You will enjoy putting up your finds to Youtube but the videos will be lost in a sea of lackluster and out of focus detecting videos already on Youtube… people will subscribe to your channel so you will sub to theirs… not really interested in your channel just want you to sub them back. People will skip through your videos and only watch a small percentage of them, because they’re not that interested.

The coins you do find are not considered for actual coin collecting because unearth coins cannot be graded or just get the grade authentic , so these coins would not be accepted in the coin community.

You need permission to hunt from land owners or you’re restricted to public places. If you want to have a good detector you need to spend $1500 if you want the best detector you need $2500.

Your chances of finding anything are based off your location (location. Location, Location). If you do find something great you’re to report to the government who will swiftly remove from you.

You look like fool dressed up in all the gear...

Did you know the signal from a metal detector is cancer causing? (Just kidding, or is it?)

My wife thinks I have turned into a hoarder. My car is full of dirt, my wife has restricted me to entering my house through the back door...all the gold I find is taken by my wife... including all the modern change...

My kids think I’m embarrassing...

Remind me why I metal detect?:tongue3:

Last edited:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first statement.....you will not make any money.
You will not make any money if you sit on the couch and watch TV.
It is said we only remember moments in this lifetime...........there are a lot of moments I remember while metal detecting.
Whether it's a good find or the person I met while metal detecting. As for the wife......if she doesn't like metal detecting.....get a new one.....lol
Oh.....and a great metal detector doesn't have to cost 2500......that's just a myth. There are several out here that cost less and put those expensive machines to shame.
Shame on them for charging people that much for a machine to start with.
You must love metal detecting............you have all the attributes of a loyal MD'er.

P.S. When I go by, all people see is a shadow!

shadow.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before this starts to go the wrong way this post was intended to be funny...

Here’s why I think I like to Metal Detect. In fact here is my top ten reasons why i think I like to metal detect. When I say the reason why I “think” i like metal detecting because i am not entirely sure why i like it, I know there are parts i enjoy but it's not clear even to myself why i do it... Is it the pull of that gold at the end of the rainbow? or some other deeper need?

1.I want to find long lost treasure. Or something... I want to find something!
2.Its exciting. It is exciting to head out on that big hunt. The day is just beginning and open to all possibilities...
3.Its gives me a physical passion, gets me out of the house and off the computer, provides a little exercise...
4.I like to plan & research the places to go to.
5.I like history and connecting with the past.
6.I like to collect junk? No i mean the cool relics and oddities i find ( i’m not a hoarder, I swear...)
7.I like to collect coins. But only those found through metal detecting...
8.I like a good challenge and to learn a new skill.
9.I like the gear and systems you need to support your metal detecting.
10.I have a genetic desire to discover and explore old places.

What's yours?

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it is much better than looking like this!

aaagolfgoofes.jpg goof2.jpg goof3.jpg

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I postponed my participation in this hobby until a few years after becoming an empty nester. Let's face it, the wife and I would get on each others nerves if we did everything together. She does her crafting and I listen for beeps in the dirt. What else could one ask for? We each have hobbies we enjoy and it keeps life interesting.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before this starts to go the wrong way this post was intended to be funny...

Here’s why I think I like to Metal Detect. In fact here is my top ten reasons why i think I like to metal detect. When I say the reason why I “think” i like metal detecting because i am not entirely sure why i like it, I know there are parts i enjoy but it's not clear even to myself why i do it... Its it the pull of that gold at the end of the rainbow? or some other deeper need?

1.I want to find long lost treasure. Or something... I want to find something!
2.Its exciting. It is exciting to head out on that big hunt. The day is just beginning and open to all possibilities...
3.Its gives me a physical passion, gets me out of the house and off the computer, provides a little exercise...
4.I like to plan & research the places to go to.
5.I like history and connecting with the past.
6.I like to collect junk? No i mean the cool relics and oddities i find ( i’m not a hoarder, I swear...)
7.I like to collect coins. But only those found through metal detecting...
8.I like a good challenge and to learn a new skill.
9.I like the gear and systems you need to support your metal detecting.
10.I have a genetic desire to discover and explore old places.

What's yours?

AMEN BROTHER, and on the seventh day God was pleased with his weeks work and went dirt fishing.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt the same until I was introduced to beach/water hunting. In 2 1/2 months my $300 used old pc of garbage Sovereign found enough gold to purchase my $2500 CTX 3030 and still have money left over. I still use my $300 used old pc of garbage Sovereign when I go to the beach. Go figure?

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monkworks
user-offline.png

You forgot to add that you need to get a life...:laughing7:

I’m confused should I be impressed by you 11,192 posts of drivel? You sir is the one who needs a life. Maybe you would find something if you stopped posting and actually when metal detecting eh?

Stefen:
Total Posts 11,192
Posts Per Day 3.28

Sorry buddy you asked for it…

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt the same until I was introduced to beach/water hunting. In 2 1/2 months my $300 used old pc of garbage Sovereign found enough gold to purchase my $2500 CTX 3030 and still have money left over. I still use my $300 used old pc of garbage Sovereign when I go to the beach. Go figure?

Exciting, I too just tried out water hunting.. I found nothing but will to try again :) they say everything is in the water...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Remind me why I metal detect?:tongue3:

You are in search of that perfect gift for my birthday. (October 22 by the way)

So, quit complaining and get swinging... It'll be here before you know it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect, mostly on weekends...so that I can smoke cigarettes without my wife knowing.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect, mostly on weekends...so that I can smoke cigarettes without my wife knowing.

That's funny!! Guess that's better than cheating on her. Although my wife says that Garrett is my mistress Lol:eek:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect to find what I lost. And then I can also find what everyone else lost. And it gets me off the couch and its not expensive......rambling again.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a hobby, plain and simple. You might try knitting.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I MD to try and find my keys or glasses when I set them down and can't find them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread