Replying to Old Threads

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mods

Is this helpful reminder a new feature? Haven't seen it before, and I made a reply on a much older thread quite recently but it didn't have this message.

Old Thread.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mods

Is this helpful reminder a new feature? Haven't seen it before, and I made a reply on a much older thread quite recently but it didn't have this message.

View attachment 2085311
I have not seen that message... yet anyway... cant think if i have replied to any older threads lately or not.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking at something, and it popped up.
It doesn't restrict anyone in replying it's just informing them it's an older post.
Some folks reply to something that is 15 yrs old, the OP hasn't logged on for 10 years, and they want an answer.
Some members were replying to decade + threads then others would click on, see the find, because it was the latest post in the what's new.
Then they'll reply, then another, then questions would be asked of the OP. Then someone would remind the viewers that the original post was X amount of years old.
This will help clean up these cases of reposting the old posts in the daily finds thread.
There's nothing wrong in referencing a older thread, a copy if that will look as a TreasureNet link.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't really see the point of that message anyway. Kind of an insult to one's intellect.
Don't take it personally, it's not about you.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking at something, and it popped up.
It doesn't restrict anyone in replying it's just informing them it's an older post.
Some folks reply to something that is 15 yrs old, the OP hasn't logged on for 10 years, and they want an answer.
Some members were replying to decade + threads then others would click on, see the find, because it was the latest post in the what's new.
Then they'll reply, then another, then questions would be asked of the OP. Then someone would remind the viewers that the original post was X amount of years old.
This will help clean up these cases of reposting the old posts in the daily finds thread.
There's nothing wrong in referencing a older thread, a copy if that will look as a TreasureNet link.
I think when someone replies to older threads, initially, they are well aware that they are doing so.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't say it was.
Nor was it a slight on anyone's intelligence either.
I could see some believing that it was though.
It is a great reminder and helpful also in controlling the reposting old up into the new daily posts.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nor was it a slight on anyone's intelligence either.
I could see some believing that it was though.
It is a great reminder and helpful also in controlling the reposting old up into the new daily posts.
Do you need to be reminded that you are replying to an older post?

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People, I wasn't trying to start a war here by tossing a grenade in the water and seeing what happened. Just a simple question about an apparently new feature I hadn't seen before. I referred to it a "useful reminder". It doesn't restrict anyone from doing anything but seemingly requires anyone posting to an old thread to acknowledge that they realise they are doing so and suggests a new thread might be more appropriate.

What is the cut-off point though? is it 120 days, as per the message?

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish this was in all forums. I'm a member of 4 and people ALL the time reply to old threads directing a question to the OP. It's ignorant but hey I believe I have done it before too. Sometimes I need a reminder, sometimes I need a shift kik too the ass 🤘🤠

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People, I wasn't trying to start a war here by tossing a grenade in the water and seeing what happened. Just a simple question about an apparently new feature I hadn't seen before. I referred to it a "useful reminder". It doesn't restrict anyone from doing anything but seemingly requires anyone posting to an old thread to acknowledge that they realise they are doing so and suggests a new thread might be more appropriate.

What is the cut-off point though? is it 120 days, as per the message?
It's a useful tool, I wish they'd had it a longtime ago.
I just brought up a reply they you had made in 2020 and it didn't have the reminder.
Tried another from 2010 and it didn't show up either.
Strange

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think when someone replies to older threads, initially, they are well aware that they are doing so.
Do you really believe that one?
I have pointed it out to folks-replies: Gee didn't notice that, or thanks didn't catch that, many haven't realized it because it's up in the Today's Finds

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bringing up old threads can be useful , several years ago a person joined this forum on July 22-2022.
his name was Jackrats and he joined for the sole purpose of identifying the mystery E disk " button that went unsolved here for YEARS . Jackrats replied to a Dec 5 -2018 post and ended the mystery . it was his first and last post on this forum.
Would Jackrats of posted is info if he got such a notice on his first post here? we may never know. but that's one example of how it could hurt the what is it forum

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really believe that one?
I have pointed it out to folks-replies: Gee didn't notice that, or thanks didn't catch that, many haven't realized it because it's up in the Today's Finds
I think you'll find those who reply to the very old post are new members researching a find and don't take notice of the age of the post.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This feature isn't happening anymore for some reason
I think you'll find those who reply to the very old post are new members researching a find and don't take notice of the age of the post.
Oh I can give you plenty of older folks doing this also.....then again it might be that darned old peoples disease (no i'm not slighting old folks here :laughing7:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions