Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This feature isn't happening anymore for some reason

Oh I can give you plenty of older folks doing this also.....then again it might be that darned old peoples disease (no i'm not slighting old folks here :laughing7:
I agree , it should have been worded many are new member , I see a few long time members doing it too.
I've joined in when the threads revived and a few post are added and I fail to see the revival date.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree , it should have been worded many are new member , I see a few long time members doing it too.
I've joined in when the threads revived and a few post are added and I fail to see the revival date.
Oh I have too-then the grey matter kicks in and I realize that I've seen this find before-then I check the date and delete my reply, or point out that the thread is a decade old.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mehh.
What's a decade or two to an old relic?
Wait ,who you callin old?

Old posts/threads get brought up multiple ways. Being able to see them is a start.
A note reminding a user one is quite dated is either a heads up confirmation or insult depending on the reader.
Heck , having posted on oldies elsewhere before and reawakening them without noting the date after someone else posted on it without noting the date , a note wouldn't bother me.
Bumping an oldie deliberately as mentioned prior is fine by me too when adding a detail to it.
And I don't lose sleep if someone bumps an oldie just because it was found interesting to them yet the previous poster(s) likely won't know. Or respond.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just a feature of the software, not something TreasureNet set up. Not sure of parameters to trigger it, but many times we will see people replying to threads 15 years old and they don't realize thread is that old.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasnt sure where to post this, but on the bottom of the page is Like, Gift, Quote, & Reply. What is Gift? & how long has it been there? Thanks.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt sure where to post this, but on the bottom of the page is Like, Gift, Quote, & Reply. What is Gift? & how long has it been there? Thanks.
Just seen this........

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just seen this........

Thanks appreciate it!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
First, let me say I believe in the Golden Rule. Whoever owns the Gold Rules.

So, if I don't like the rules on a board, I can go elsewhere. Okay?

Having said that any board I have run or served as a moderator. I do not discourage postings on old threads. If the person took time to read an old posting and wants to post on it, that is great.

Once, over ten years ago, I was using, very successfully, I might add, the Atkins Diet, and still am. I found a board on the Diet, and there was an old thread which gave some erroneous and dangerous advice. I added a note explaining why. The moderator threw a major tantrum. Beam me up, Scotty!

My view, then and now, is if it is that offensive to post on an old thread, set up an auto delete. That is my opinion, subject of course to the Golden Rule as described at the start of this posting. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to read an interesting posting and have something to say, but can't, because it was an old posting. Grrr!

I certainly like the very mature approach implemented on this board. Make sure they know it is old, but give them the freedom to make an adult decision if they have a strong desire to add something. Showing once again the superior intelligence of the owners. Good job!

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think when someone replies to older threads, initially, they are well aware that they are doing so.
I’ve seen just the opposite, for the most part, people not noticing the date on the thread, someone replies, thread starts up again, and someone points out the thread is years old. Very easy not to check the dates.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Good thread. Various opinion across the spectrum, and the readers can decide which of them make more sense. That is what freedom of speech was all about.

Good thoughts may differ, but never expire.

The example I gave, a true example, involved some dangerous advice, I don't care if the posting was 40 years old, it could still harm people. When the moderator cussed me out, I realized I did not belong on a board which would leave dangerous advice because of its date of creation.

Groups set up their own standards and often their own language. In 1966 I started working in a very high tech factory. We were just starting on transistors. The technicians called transistors, "rocks" because they had silicon and germanium in them. :)

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think when someone replies to older threads, initially, they are well aware that they are doing so.
Not always I have replied to a few and then realized the thread was a year old and had no replies for months until I replied with out checking how old the thread was LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread