Report of 2nd Excursion into Sups

GreenBranch

Feb 7, 2023
Through the goodwill of another Dutch Hunter, I was given some very intriguing information that I thought was worthy of a boots-on-the-ground exploration. Even better was it's proximity to IdahoDutch's site, just north of Needle Canyon, 33°28'21.68"N 111°23'19.36"W. I give the following report with his permission.

This is the GE image I was given.

New Site 01.jpg

A closer view looked promising. The clearly rectangular shape could be a rock foundation. And it was 234' across a 'Y' shaped ravine from what looked like a circle on the ground.
New Site 02.jpg

There were also some interesting shapes above the site that appeared to be man-made. A corral perhaps?

New Site 03.jpg

I compared the site with a list of "clues" gleaned from another thread. You can visit the GE site if you want to verify my initial findings. I won't waste space and bandwidth posting all of my supporting images here. But two seemed to warrant an image.
Weavers Needle is seen due south and the 4 peaks line up on the north.
From top of Hill.jpg

The mine facing west, a peak to the west, a Y shaped ravine trending northwest, a trail seen from the mine,
New Site 04.jpg

Other clues the site satisfied are :
-The center of the ravine lies about 2500’ elevation, within 2.5 miles of Weaver’s Needle. (Actual = 2445’ elevation & 2.88 miles from WN)
-Heading North from Weavers Needle, down a long North trending canyon, the first side canyon coming in from the east. (Needle Canyon isn't the first side canyon but is the first major one afaik.)
-A place where a few pack animals could graze on the saddle on the East.
-Natural water tanks or ponds below. (Yes, in Needle Canyon)
-A cave below the mine near the canyon floor and a shelter across the ravine. (There is a reported cave just south of Needle Canyon. The square shape on GE could be the shelter across the ravine.)
It is in a north running canyon filled with potholes. (Boulder Canyon?)
The rays of the setting sun will shine into the mouth of the tunnel. (I would assume from the GE that they would.)
One needs to climb up about 40 feet elevation to see Weavers Needle to the south. (This proved to be true.)
The mine is above a brushy boulder choked little canyon.

Given these evidences I thought an on-site visit was warranted. I'll describe that visit below.

OP
OP
GreenBranch

GreenBranch

Feb 7, 2023
I caught a flight to Phoenix, drove to the canyon lake marina and spent the night in the campground. Early the next morning I started off on the Boulder Canyon trail, a moderately difficult hike with phenomenal views.
Battleship Mountain & Weavers Needle S.jpg

It took me a little under five hours to get to Needle Canyon due to the many high water crossings, the rugged trail and being woefully out of shape from having heart surgery in November.

The first thing I noticed while climbing up the ridge just north of Needle Canyon was that getting pack animals up there would be very difficult - at least it was for this two legged one. But I managed to make it up to the ridge where the supposed rock foundation should be only to find a rock formation in the rough shape of a rectangle. Oh, well...

Rock Foundation.jpg

Disappointed that this key piece of evidence turned out negative, I nonetheless continued up to the saddle. On the way I saw what looked like a path heading to the area shown on GE to resemble a round shape. Again, an illusion.

Path.jpg

After an hour of searching the site, I couldn't find any evidence that the land had ever been mined. So I hiked out and now we know one more place in the Superstition Mountains where the LDM isn't.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello green branch,
As far as I know, the monumented trail Waltz and Weiser, according to this account, took the first time to the mine, is worded in a very particular way.

Here is a partial snip from that account.
There are a couple areas that might be good to talk about…..
A176FE28-EDF5-422F-A6DB-3739A62FFC0A.jpeg

Towards the end of the 2nd paragraph, we have the directions of the monumented trail.

Then here is from your post,….
727D37FC-9536-4AA1-903E-0AB0F1DE23F1.jpeg

In your 2nd bullet point, you say “heading north from weavers needle ….

If we are to follow the clues, then we need to be careful to get the wordings, and their meanings correct, for best results.
Changing the wording is a perfect way to start misunderstanding the directions.

The directions do not say to head north from weavers needle, nor from sombrero butte, ……. Rather states that after going over the lofty ridge, we are to come down past sombrero butte, and into a long canyon running north.

Let’s carefully review some things here.
We don’t start at sombrero butte, but merely drop down past it …. Into a long canyon running north.
From the canyon you drop down into, you are already past sombrero butte.

In other words, the first tributary to the east deep and rocky… is a correct statement.

A look on google earth reveals the path as described in the article 👍

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

OP
OP
GreenBranch

GreenBranch

Feb 7, 2023
I think it’s great that you made the trip, boots on the ground, and have shared some very nice pics. And your finds 👍

Idahodutch
Thanks IdahoDutch for the reply.

I wonder about this quote:

In other words, the first tributary to the east deep and rocky… is a correct statement.

Where do you find "first tributary?" In the article above it says, "and finally to a tributary canyon" hinting that you may pass several tributaries or canyons. Thoughts?

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Green Branch.

What quote ?
I said “in other words …”

Now where is the first tributary, that is deep and rocky, that you come to.
If from other clues, you have not figured out east or west, then you have some research waiting for you to work through 🥳👍

Or not 🤠🤷🏼‍♂️
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
My thoughts?
Finally to a tributary deep and rocky.
Sounds like first one with those attributes, doesn’t it 😎

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just thoughts. Not trying to pursued anyone any more than to consider where the sun might be at sunset in relationship to a hole , and when.

When reading rays of the setting sun it always makes me ask what time of year.

I've a spot I sit hunting in the fall facing South in which the sun is a factor. (There is a reason someone who would prefer the sun at thier back does so..)
Where those "rays" hit varies a lot in the last hour. But yes specific spots can be observed.
Setting as in about to fall out and light is the horizon , those rays are long gone already.

A mine mouth getting rayed at sunset....
Sun sets in the West ; right? So why do I get blinded in late fall facing South?
At best the setting sun is S.W. but it's not W by any long stretch of the imagination.

Maybe at a much higher elevation rays could hit later. I've lots of shade before the sun touches the horizon.

OP
OP
GreenBranch

GreenBranch

Feb 7, 2023
What quote?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was quoting you. I need to learn how to use the many features of this site, including how to use the quotes, which I think I just did. :)

Finally to a tributary deep and rocky.
Sounds like first one with those attributes, doesn’t it?

Yes! You're totally right. Reading it again in context I see your point. Thanks for that info. It's very helpful.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was quoting you. I need to learn how to use the many features of this site, including how to use the quotes, which I think I just did. :)

Yes! You're totally right. Reading it again in context I see your point. Thanks for that info. It's very helpful.
😜 anytime my friend 👍

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another "LDM Not Found" story, but another great day exploring in the Superstitions -- the stuff that memories are made of. And proof again that Google Earth reveals possibilities, but not probabilities. There are many more adventures waiting out there in those mountains.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I am wonder if the clues written above has a ranking of important to not important. I have looked but do not find this list.
OneLooseArrow,
Welcome to Treasurenet 😁👍

Your question is a good question. I fear that if 100 were asked it, that there’s a high likelihood you’ll get 100 different answers 😵‍💫😜.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GreenBranch

GreenBranch

Feb 7, 2023
Speaking of clues, I recall reading somewhere that there was a cross carved on a rock and that Jacob thought it was a grave marker. I've been searching for that information for several hours with no luck. Any chance one of you could point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread