Requesting advice regarding equipment for a summer of prospecting

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Garret "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, so I'm a norwegian student who's contemplating using my summer break prospecting for gold in the woods of Sweden. I've got no experience prospecting, so I'm still in the researching stage of my trip. I'm planing to live in a tent and primarily fish trout/bass for food to live as cheaply as possible while I'm out there prospecting (I also do love fishing)

I'm making this thread to ask for help regarding the prospecting equipment. I've used google a lot to get some info, but can't really find what I'm looking for. The area I'll be prospecting is relatively gold-rich, but it's mainly tiny pieces and nuggets are uncommon from my understanding. I'm therefor not interested in buying any metal detector, but rather some washing equipment. I've looked at several different sluices, dredges and highbanks, but can't seem to find any solid info to help me decide what I should invest in for my trip.

Some info:
- Budget for just the prospecting gear: about 600$-800$. If there are some significant arguments for investing 100-200$ more, I'll seriously consider it.
- Area consist of mostly tiny gold, but I would like the equipment to also be able to catch nuggets if they should occure
- Portable; I'll have no access to car/ATV once I'm in the woods, so I would like to be able to transport the equipment by foot. Walking 3-4 times to transport it all isn't a problem, but I cant carry anything heavier than 10kg (20lbs) or so by hand for longer distances.
- I'll be washing in a small creek
- Would like the highest outcome possible relative to time, energy and money invested. (I'm not expecting to get rich, but to break even in the total would be nice)
- Probably be prospecting for 5-6 weeks in total, hopefully averaging 8 hours a day
- I'm young and healthy, so long days with hard work isn't a problem

This is where I would like your expertise. From my understanding a plastic sluice or two might be my best option as "main washer", considering it's lightweight, cheap and quite effective. I'm also considering buying one of those manual "super pumps" to collect material from between rocks and such.

- Are there any benefits from choosing a metal sluice, rather than plastic?
- Is it beneficial to buy two, or would I only be able to operate one at a time either way?
- Should I consider some of the other options as well? If yes; please tell me what and why?
- If no; please let me know which sluice box you think would be ideal for my use.
- What are your thoughts on those manual pumps, is it worth it? I'm expecting it to be a "decent" alternative to a proper dredge pump, please tell me if I'm wrong.

Also; this is my current list for other prospecting related equipment, tell me if I'm missing any or if there's room for any improvement:
- Digging shovel
- Smaller plastic shovel
- Stone pickaxe
- 2 Pans (What size should I buy? What are the difference in the shapes?)
- "Snuffer" bottles
- Bottles for storing the collected gold
- Buckets
- Classifier(s) (Which size would be ideal?)
- Digital scale
- Miners moss, if my sluice requires it
- Loupe
- Book with prospecting knowledge / notes on prospecting in general
- Journal, for keeping up with the progress
- Gloves and vaders (not sure if that's what it's called in english, i'm referring to those pants used in flyfishing to keep you dry. I already own a pair, so no need to buy new one)

Am I right in my reflections regarding the equipment? Please recommend and let me know what you think, every input is highly appreciated! I would also like to apologize for long post and grammatical errors, english is not my native language :-)
Lastly I would like to thank you all for any help in advance :notworthy:
Dovregubben

Upvote 0

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like you pretty much have it figured out.

only thing i would add is to research the area really well and maybe watch a few videos on youtube on how to find gold in creeks.

if your stream mining you'll want a metal sluice and use eather standard carpet or goldhog rubber mats.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. I know nothing about gold mining ( except the tv shows)
B. Your adventure sounds like great fun ( wish I was still young, I would join you)
143. Be very careful not to shake your beer on the way to your site.
M. give us lots of pics of your experience

OP
OP
Dovregubben

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input, ClaimStake!
I'll make sure to research the area and prospecting in general further.
I'll be stream mining, what are the advantages of a metal sluice vs plastic? I'm also wondering the benefits of standard carpets vs goldhog rubber mats?
What are your thoughts on different pans, classifiers and manual pumps? Will I be able to operate two sluicer boxes at once with the intention of increasing effectivity if the stream flow allows it?
Dovregubben

OP
OP
Dovregubben

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff-gordon: Beer is heavy, vodka is weight-efficient :icon_thumright:
No worries mate, I'll bring a camera and/or GoPro

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1 sluice will be more than enough for you to handle. a full size stream sluice can take a 5 gallon bucket of dirt pretty fast. especially if you classify first.

carpet is best for really fine gold. rubber mats are a bit more efficient but work best with less flow. miners moss is best when you have a lot of dirt with gold. it'll handle lots of material fast but will lose a little bit of super fine gold.

carpet=best for sampling
rubber=best for clean up
moss= best for volume

not too many plastic sluices out there.

get a big green garrett pan and a regular 14" pan.

OP
OP
Dovregubben

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again ClaimStake!
I'm assuming either carpet or rubber would be best for my use?
Could you recommend me some brand-specific sluice models? Regarding plastic sluices, I've looked at Le Trap and this one: (about 130$), but wouldn't mind buying a heavier metal sluice if it's considered more efficient and durable.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On pans, Garrett 14" and 10" kit. I like the 10" for finishing when there's lots of black sand. A banjo pan would be next.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
buy a little gold and practice at home,so you will not waste time when get out there and you will know what real gold looks like.
i also like using eyedropper for the fine stuff.
good luck brad

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The riffles on the stock keene sluices are pretty bad for fine gold. I cut most of mine out of the ladder and welded in some heavy expanded metal, night and day difference. Even cutting out all but the back and the two front riffles to hold down the stock expanded and leave a nugget trap at the end is a major improvement. I like to carry one pan, a big 16" steel pan or a garret super sluice depending on how cold it is out, the garret is easier on my hands when the water is like ice. At home I have pans of all sizes. If you can find a little steel pan 6" to 8" they are incredibly useful for final cleanup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dovregubben

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies, guys!
I'll buy some paydirt for practice once I have my gear delivered. I'll also make sure to buy one smaller pan for final cleanup.
Could you explain more N-Lionberger? I'm a total noob, so would love some pictures and details of your modifications. Which of the A52 vs A52F would be better? Dont think there's any metal riffles at the A52F, why's that?
Anyone got some experience with the manual pumps?
Thanks,
Dovregubben

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want the most bang for your buck... goldhog UR mats + Hog Moss + riffles (if you have bigger gold) and get the longest sluice you can manage. No classification needed.

If you want to sample a lot of ground get an Angus Mackirk drop riffle sluice for super fast cleanups and low weight. Classifying not necessary but may be recommended depending on what you are working with.

OP
OP
Dovregubben

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Golden_Crab, truly appreciate your input! Will Goldhog UR mats and Hog moss fit into the Angus Mackirk/Keene or will it require me making my own sluice? Dont think there will be too many nuggets in the area, but surely wouldnt want to miss those few either...
Thanks again!

OP
OP
Dovregubben

Dovregubben

Greenie
Nov 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, could you recommend me some of the MacKirk sluices?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the AM sluices are a molded plastic sort of deal so you are stuck with the riffles molded in, on a Keene it's an aluminum trough you can put whatever you want in there. the A52F is a folding sluice that utilizes a rubber riffle mat. I don't have any personal experience with it but I have friends with folding sluices and it sounds like they have their own set of problems. The stock riffles in a keene involves a riffle ladder and a piece of light weight expanded metal, the expanded is held down by the riffle ladder, you can remove most of the riffles and the side rails are sufficient at holding down the expanded metal, I havn't personally done this so I cant supply a picture though I am considering it on my Keene A51M. The heavy 4# expanded is what I have been using to replace most of my riffles and it handles unclassified material fairly well. I hear a lot about how you don't need to classify with gold hog matting, I don't think it matters what kind of riffles you run if you mob the sluice with big rocks you will blow out gold. To get good recovery it's best to run like sized material, doesn't matter how much you pay for your riffles. On that note expanded metal is cheap and easy to find at most scrap yards. Here's my trusty rusty A52. I highly recommend getting a sluice stand, it makes setting up in high flow a walk in the park.

image1 (3).JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The fact that you have to mod the A52 to get it to work should tell you NOT to buy one. It was a great design when first sold but is way out of date vs current designs based on science. Get an Angus Mackirk or a Goldhog sluice (comes with the mats) or a Grizzly Goldtrap. Then you have a modern sluice, ready to run as delivered!!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a beginner, so get an Angus MacKirk. What size depends on your water flow, being that you're young, don't get the biggest, just get the one that will work in the river or streams that you will be in. You don't need 2! Not knowing the area that you will be working limits us all on what else to recommend. You should go to a local prospecting shop and talk with them, people who know your area. Buy your gold pans now and practice with them before going into the bush. Get a #2 shovel and use it as a walking stick, and the Estwing pan is a good beginner to advanced pan. A plastic pill bottle works good for holding gold, just don't use glass.
Estwing Plastic Gold Pans : Cabela's

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Alaska flair (irc) will clean up into 5 gal bucket or my next choice would be the expedition sluice. You'll need to clean up more often than conventional sluice, but its literally as fast as drop it in the bucket... splash water with pan few times and done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread