Metal Detecting

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John...Local Libraries or historical societies will sometimes have a reference section ( They usually dont allow them to be signed out)..these will have old plat books /maps some reproduction ...most time you can copy them.. these show most old homesites roads details / compare them to modern day maps..Good luck

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in finding abandoned and old homesites to detect and need help doing research. What are the best map sites to use? I live in North Carolina and interested in Randolph and Davidson counties. Any help in how to begin my research and actually doing some hunts would be appreciated.
Try “topo view” for old topos. The topos come in several formats. The “ KMz” format will attach as a layer over google earth! The little black squares are old homes, farms and ranches that do not appear on newer topos.

Try “search GLO” by the state and county you are interested in. You can access original plats and homestead entries and land patents.

From the outer edges of the topo maps you can obtain the township and range, and section. You can then use that in the GLO site.

It also helps to find an overlay with township, range, and sections, to use on google earth.

I am self-taught with these methods and it took many, many hours of trial and error to figure this out.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An easy item to use is Gaia Gps pretty good and accurate also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread