Research Sources - The San Saba Mission

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The best single book I've read on the subject is clearly The San Sabá Mission: Spanish Pivot in Texas by Robert S. Weddle. It is first rate and highly recommended.

Also very interesting is THE SAN SABA PAPERS. A Documentary Account of the Founding and Destruction of San Saba Mission. Edited, with an Introduction, by Lesley Byrd Simpson. This isn't exactly light reading - pure research.

My personal favorite remains The Rise and Fall of the Mission San Saba; To which is Appended a Brief History of the Bowie or Almagres Mine by John Warren Hunter (1906). Long dismissed as, at best, folklore (see Weddle, above) recent research on the ground has shown this little work to be far more accurate than many had previously thought. It's the most entertaining of the three.

Treasure Magazine published an excellent 6-part series that is well worth reading:

SAN SABA MINES: PART 1 by Hale & Kyker (March 1991)
SAN SABA MINES: PART 2 (April 1991)
SAN SABA MINES: PART 3 (May 1991)
SAN SABA MINES: PART 4 (June 1991)
SAN SABA MINES: PART 5 (July 1991)
SAN SABA MINES: PART 6 (August 1991)

and sometimes overlooked because it came two months later:

SAN SABA’S LEGACY (October 1991)

And some early scholarly articles of note:

Apache Relations in Texas, 1718-1750, William Edward Dunn The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, 1911 (Vol. XIV).

Missionary Activities Among the Eastern Apaces,
William Edward Dunn The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, January 1912 (Vol. XV No. 3).

The Apache Mission on the San Saba River; Its Founding and Failure,
William Edward Dunn The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, 1914 (Vol. 17).

Don't miss the "literature review" - it has already been cited here on TN but it's worth repeating because it is excellent:

http://www.texfiles.com/texashistory/bowiemine.htm

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read a book called '' the lost san saba mines'' written by a barber who lived and owned a barber shop in seguin texas, it was a great book and it is how i found all the stuff around san saba and llano, all locations he listed were right where he said they were, including the first gold i ever found in a creek behind babyhead mountain.

man thats been almost 40 years ago!

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
[FONT="&amp]Perhaps that book was (and still is): “The Lost San Saba Mines; One Man’s Searchfor Ancient Treasure in the Hills of Texas” by C.F. Eckhardt (1982).[/FONT]
[FONT="&amp]
Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

[/FONT]

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Perhaps that book was (and still is): “The Lost San Saba Mines; One Man’s Searchfor Ancient Treasure in the Hills of Texas” by C.F. Eckhardt (1982).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

[/FONT]
Nice to see you posting again Old Bookaroo - welcome back!!

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Gentlemen:

Thank you for your kind words! Wish I had an exciting adventure to tell about where I've been - just working. There are worse things than being busy. And it's not bad having somebody else pay to travel a bit. But it's still work - the curse of the drinking class.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread