Research...

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Hello all. New guy to TN here (though not quite so new to much else). ;D Enjoying the posts alot, very informative and entertaining.

My question is: How does one go about conducting research? What do I ask for at the local library? I understand local historical societies can be tricky. What sites online are most helpful?

Thanks everyone, any replies would be much appreciated.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
This place has some maps for Tennessee. Give it a try and good luck. Also have you tried the local history department in your local library? They are pretty helpful and might have some maps of your area if this site does not pan out for you.

Good luck and Happy Hunting

Funkman

here is the link:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Our library has a local county and state reference room in the basement. It also houses all the various microfiches and microfilms of the area newspapers dating back to the late 1800's that are free to browse. It also contains a number of geneology books along with old Polks directories.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read everything you can get your hands on that has anything to do with what you are looking for. Then read all the references they quoted or used in their research.

Honestly, the sources for different types of searches are usually different, but may overlap. What exactly are you looking for? Coins, relics, minerals (gold, silver, etc.), lost treasure caches? Each area has some specialized sources that will benefit you.

There are some things that are common, though. The internet is the greatest boon to the researcher that has ever come along. Some possible search words/terms:

Abandoned; Church; beach; camp; campground; ghost town; carnival; grove; brush arbor; station; railroad. The list can go on and on, but you probably get the idea.

If you need maps, there are several good mapping sites that are listed elsewhere in this and other forums, so I won't go into those.

If you need specific information regarding a particular type of research, PM me and I will try to help. Maybe together we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Paul I like your tagline at the bottom of your post.
Dang, now that songs stuck in my head

Thanks for the cool site ThTx

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
Hears how i did it .First i went online and did a search for my county i wanted to detect.Once there i found the link to the different townships in that county.Then i looked at the old plot maps they had there from 1901 which showed the names of the land owners,how much land they owned,and where the home was at on the property.Not sure if your state/county has this kind of stuff online might have to make a trip to the local historical society. Hope this helped some.

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
In addition to the local libraries, most of the townships in this area have a local "historical society". These often have older photos, maps, sketches, paintings etc... of life in the area, possibly from it's inception. My local township, has photo's from the late 1800's. as well as repros of maps from the late 1600's . Of course, being just outside of Philadelphia helps for old history :D

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Find out where the old timers hang out at, buy'em coffee and listen to what they have to say.
Plat maps are a big resource combined with Google Earth.
Newspapers archives have a wealth of information.
Courthouse records.
Historical facts and published books for the specific area.

Sometimes the most trivial tidbit will lead into something.

mikesand

Feb 5, 2007
SE bucks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer
Teknetics Liberator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey bodyguard,
what town in PA are you in?
i'm in levittown.
HH
mike

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Could start with Google images, like this one:
http://images.google.ca/images?svnu...e=off&q=tennessee+map+1855&btnG=Search+Images

Just pick a county, (or search based on the state like I did), and a year. If you want maps, then add that like I did. If you follow the link to Rootsweb, you might prefer to search based on some specific criteria, the pages there as they are rather big. Or, you could just Google the site using the keywords of your choice followed by the site link, like this:
1833 map tennessee site:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/

Which gives you these results with normal Google:
http://www.google.ca/search?num=100...ges.genealogy.rootsweb.com/&btnG=Search&meta=

And these results with Google Images:
http://images.google.ca/images?svnu...es.genealogy.rootsweb.com/&btnG=Search+Images

Play with keywords, county names, or even family names and dates, based on any additional information you might find and you could end up with some really significant information.

Have fun!

F.

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
My tried and true method is to use Google Earth and my 1874 Atlas of my county in New York, which was published by D.G. Beers. He was so precise in his drawings of the roads and such that I can match it up exactly with Google Earth and find where all the abandoned roads and homes are. And sometimes you can even see where they used to stand. Its great fun! :) Good luck.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the USA, you guys have much resources,,,, I can barely find my town or anything about it on the Net. I am using Google Earth at this time, and just remembering things that I have seen in the past....

Happy Hunting and God bless,
Peter Gill

T

TreasureTales

starsplitter said:
Paul:

Also, I cannot remember what they are called (I am sure someone else in the forum knows), but insurance maps. I have never seen such an animal, but from what I have read, insurance companies actually mapped out the neighborhoods and homes of their insured. The maps included the outbuildings, etc.

I hope this helps.

Starsplitter

Starsplitter, are you referring to Sanborn maps? Fire insurance maps.

Paul, this thread is fairly old, but since I enjoy doing research I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth (2 cents? lol, more like 2 dollars worth). Join your local historical society and then you will have a much better chance of getting some good info from the volunteers. Also, you can email almost all of the state and county archives and get some info that way. The most time-consuming way, but often the most productive way, to gain info is to read old newspaper obituaries and see who died suddenly and without any family in the area, particularly if they died before a bank was built in the area. You can then find out where they lived from county land records (plat maps), and then you will have to determine if the house/property is vacant - which can be done by a drive-by or by inquiring at the local county clerk's office (usually the same place the plat maps are retained).

One very important thing to keep in mind when doing research - primary sources of information. "Primary" means at the time of the incident - as opposed to after the fact. Newspapers, journals, court records, deeds, old maps, etc. would be primary sources - the best type of research material there is!!! Well, the only exception to that would be old people who can accurately remember things and tell you about them. Ask them about whatever subject is of importance to you (relics, coins, bottles, dumps, etc.) and they are almost always happy to talk to somebody about the "good old days," but be prepared to sit a long time and listen to story after story. LOL

OP
OP
paul1410

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Thanks, TT!

Very informative post! I appreciate all the posts here as they have been very helpful and enlightening.

Even though I started this thread a little while ago information is never really stale. There's always new information and better ideas that can be shared.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions