Restaurant Token And Silver Quarter Proof Coins

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bid on a couple of items in our coin club's auction. The first item is a 2007 set of 90% silver proof quarters that cost me $21.00 or $4.20 per coin which is about 17x face value......less than what they're selling junk 90% coins for these days.
The other item is a restaurant token from Kugler's Restaurant in
Philadelphia. The coin in the center is a mint state but no longer bright red 1937 Lincoln Cent. I researched Kugler's and could only find a few 1940's post card pictures of the inside of the restaurant which showed that this eatery was kind of on the ritzy side. The restaurant opened in 1893 and closed in 1967. The token cost me only $3.00 in the auction.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched NEWSPAPERS.COM and found a bunch of references to Kugler's Restaurant.

The oldest reference was (The Philadelphia Inquirer) November 21st, 1893 when they announced that Clarence Kugler's will open his new restaurant on 12th Street, etc. Oysters, game and shell fish will be the specialty, etc.

Found a ton of articles. Here are just a few: (The Philadelphia Inquirer) March 15, 1930 talking about a class graduation dinner. Another was July 12th, 1934 when Kugler's was ordered to rehire employee's let go during a strike and discharge those hired as their replacements.

FINALLY - on June 11th, 1967 it was announced that "Kugler's Restaurant is due to close after 90 years in Phila."

Hope you find this interesting...

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_link.gif
I searched NEWSPAPERS.COM and found a bunch of references to Kugler's Restaurant.

The oldest reference was (The Philadelphia Inquirer) November 21st, 1893 when they announced that Clarence Kugler's will open his new restaurant on 12th Street, etc. Oysters, game and shell fish will be the specialty, etc.

Found a ton of articles. Here are just a few: (The Philadelphia Inquirer) March 15, 1930 talking about a class graduation dinner. Another was July 12th, 1934 when Kugler's was ordered to rehire employee's let go during a strike and discharge those hired as their replacements.

FINALLY - on June 11th, 1967 it was announced that "Kugler's Restaurant is due to close after 90 years in Phila."

Hope you find this interesting...
Very interesting and thank you very much for the info......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread