paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I had to go back! I set aside a whole day to continue the grid further out and even sift around where the cache was. As expected, not quite as much volume of finds as last time, but I did manage some amazing 18th century relics and got a bit further in figuring out who this homestead belonged to.

I dug out all of the larger rocks where the cache was more or less centered around and sifted a few shovels of dirt at a time. There was a bit of pottery and I did find a few clay pipe stems, but I was aiming for non-ferrous finds. Instead I happened on an absolutely incredible, intact, 18th century fork:

DSC08540.JPG DSC08541.JPG DSC08542.JPG

The pins that held the handle together rusted away, but everything else is there and both handle pieces fit perfectly. They're also remarkably solid so I don't think they're bone since bone tends to get spongy and stained. Antler perhaps? I don't turn up too many forks, likely because the iron signal is very faint, but it will make a wonderful addition to the display for this site!

I also turned up two pocket knives:

DSC08553.JPG

These handles may have been wood since there's no trace besides the iron bodies.

Fortunately it wasn't just ferrous finds, otherwise I would have felt a little foolish siting through all of that dirt! I did manage to tease out one more copper that was likely part of the cache:

DSC08555.JPG DSC08557.JPG

Another counterfeit 1775 King George III half penny! :hello2: That brings the total to four at this site, and all four are different varieties which should give you an idea of how many were floating around in those days!

After I sifted down to the clay layer I resumed the grid, but spaced out further from the foundation. Interestingly I found three different cufflink pieces scattered about:

DSC08545.JPG DSC08544.JPG

The silver, floral pattern one is unfortunately not pure silver, but a thick silver wash on brass. Even still, the quality of the etching is absolutely fantastic. The center one that still has part of the link is an unusual pattern and appears to be the oldest of the three. I also found a few more buttons including a first for me:

DSC08543.JPG

A dandy sized pewter button. I don't think many of these were made from pewter since this is the first I've found, but the swirl in the center is quite striking. One piece that turned up is a bit of a mystery and I could use some input on it:

DSC08297.JPG DSC08298.JPG

The plate is brass and the chain links are iron. There appears to have originally been chains on all six holes and there's no engravings on either side of the plate. The chain links are quite small so probably not holding much weight, but iron is an odd choice for a decorative piece. Any idea what this is from?

I mentioned in the last post that there was a very old family cemetery plot a little ways from this site, so I took some photos of the headstones this time. You can see in this first one that it's pretty well buried by brush, but they're good sized memorials.

Cemetery.jpg

The dates on the stones range from 1788 to 1812 and comprise three different family names. The one that's associated with the Revolutionary War is this one though:

Parker Pabody Headstone.jpg

Parker Pabody appears on local Revolutionary War rosters which seem like the obvious choice given the USA button, but some more research turned up that he was part of a regiment that made muskets for New York State during the revolution. The button could have just been a coincidence, but the fact that the Pabody was involved in musket manufacturing actually might explain these other odd finds around the homestead:

DSC08550.JPG DSC08551.JPG

The smaller piece I found while sifting and the larger one was some distance from the foundation. Both appear to be slag from iron smelting. Locally there was significant industry around charcoal production and there are charcoal circles all over these hills. The iron smelting was done at the next town over and the larger piece of recovered slag even has imprints that look like charcoal fragments which would place it at the correct time period. My theory is that Parker Pabody may have been involved in obtaining iron for the musket manufacture and kept a few interesting slag pieces from his journeys to the smelters. It's an interesting development and I'm hoping further research can shed some more light on his role within the Rev War unit.

I think I found another foundation along this road, so I'll be investigating that this coming weekend and I'm hoping that I can establish a time-frame for that one too and even better connect it to a family name. Hopefully there will be many more 18th century relics to come!

Upvote 32

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds, pictures and descriptions of this site continue to fascinate me. Can't wait for the next installment! :notworthy:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
More good work Paleo. The fake Georgie is a beauty! Tough to find a fork handle in as good shape as that one.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great return trip! I'm sure there's still more 8-)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Max that site you're on is amazing man! :thumbsup:
The early two-tine fork and the counterfeit George III Halfpenny are great finds.

Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was having a closer look at the interesting piece below Max and I might suggest you post it in the 'What is It' forum. :thumbsup:

Dave

Attachments

• DSC08298-crop.JPG
    DSC08298-crop.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 18

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on getting another copper, it's in great shape. Congrats!

With amount of foliage/brush the site be giving up a few more relics later on or early spring.
The cufflink pieces are interesting and the fact that there are 3 different styles. The silver wash one would have me thinking it had the most history as it was hand engraved instead of molded as the centre one. :dontknow:
Best of luck going to the next site down the road-and the next post up of finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great site, killer hunt congrats! :occasion14:

ScriptRhythm

Sep 12, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My genealogy radar is on full alert with those gravestones. Would they happen to be Located near Little Compton, Rhode Island? My 10th great grandfather William Pabodie (1620-1707) died near there.

Did you happen to take closeup pictures of each of the stones? Would you be willing to share your pictures and their location on findagrave.com?

Thank-you for sharing.

***After a bit of research in my tree, I have determined that Parker Pabodie is my 2nd cousin 9x removed. We share the grandfather I posted above. May I add your pictures to my family tree and I would be willing to add them to findagrave.com if you are willing. Thank you for sharing your 'treasure' with my family tree.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a complete trefid spoon which is considered rare - your fork is rarer - make sure you conserve it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread