Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out for a few hours at an old favorite site. Didn't dig too many targets, but was actually more than expected and me of all people actually found something.

The Loyalist Royal Provincials button was nice to see, but confirmation when I got home that my chunk of lead was indeed a Spanish 1 real casting mold is what made the day. Strangely it's for a type of real that for some reason we don't dig here, and that just adds a little more cool factor to the find.

262qt6w.jpg

domi41.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That mold is crazy cool IP!! Not sure if I've ever seen one of that variety. Now how awesome would it be if you could find a coin that came from that mold. WTG!!!

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Wow Ironpatch...that button is cool...I have never seen a mold like that..awesome finds.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting find as well as discussion. Thanks Don in SJ for posting the coin button photos.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the mold IP, and it's good to see that you scraped off the mold and got out.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great to see something posted that is out-of-the-ordinary, congrats. I hope an identity can be nailed down.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find and definitely banner worthy for rarity! You have my vote brother!

tormes

Mar 1, 2015
Salamanca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, Whites Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find!!! :notworthy:

This type of buttons are common find trough all the east coast (as I can read in this forum) , also in Mexico, and scarcely in Spain. This mould confirms that they were (al least) made in east coast colonies or early United States.

I am researching about it and this is the best notice I can receive. There are pillar dollar buttons dated before 1732 (when the first of these coins were struck) and they continue with dates as 1783 ...1789, out of last issue date (1772). They seems to be from second half 18th century (in spite of their dates).

Congratulations

tormes

Mar 1, 2015
Salamanca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, Whites Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Continuing with this topic, If we check crowns and drawing inside worlds (like a palm ), they are designs very schematic . I post two buttons very similar to those produced by this mould.
This design (this mould and buttons I post) I think are the last one of this type of buttons (they are dated after the last coin was minted: 17(77) and 1783).

DSCN4014.JPG

v.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread