Rev. War soldier post?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts on this long post. Several years ago I found something fascinating in the hills around my area of NY not far from the Hudson River where many troops were camped during the Rev. War and there was a larger camp/fortification nearby. Up in hills/woods (in a now unpopulated area) overlooking what was a main roadway during the Rev. War, roughly facing south down the road below, is a semicircular fortification made of stones (about the size two soldiers could fit in). It's not in perfect shape, with many stones knocked down and the whole inside is filled with dirt that has come down from the hill above. When I found this I was skeptical that something like that could survive from the Rev. War, even though it is not in an area where many people would go in the modern day. I figured it could be a hunting shelter from the 1800s or early 1900s. I detected all around the area and didn't find anything that would indicate a Rev. War site, but evidence of more modern hunting. However, the story gets better. I went to the local library and went through old local articles in the historical section. I found an article from the 50s that had an interview with an older guy who had helped build that same roadway in an earlier part of the 1900s. He was quoted saying that when they turned it from the dirt road into a better paved road, there were all of these known Rev. War fortifications made of stones in the hills throughout the area, always facing south (as 'mine' is) he noted toward NY City where the British could have possibly come up that route. He said they would take the stones and use them as a base for the roadway construction (what a 'crime' in itself as an aside). I moved away from the area for several years and recently came back and never forgot about this site. It's still there and still needs to be excavated and detected in terms of the dirt and the stone walls. I went back recently and did find a flattened projectile, but larger than the musketballs I've found in other areas where troops were located here, so I'm not sure of the era. I'll get the thing excavated one way or the other and hopefully find enough stuff to solve this mystery one way or the other. I'm thinking if it's just a one or two soldier outpost with men coming from the larger outpost nearby, maybe it makes sense not much would be found detecting around it, just inside. I believe if anyone seriously detected around there before, it would not be filled with dirt. Thoughts on this being legit or not appreciated. (A side history note, this near the roadway Benedict Arnold fled down to escape onto a waiting British ship in the Hudson River, his infamous turncoat effort to give away West Point uncovered by Gen. Washington, who nearly caught up to him on horseback. The actual dirt pathway from the main road to the Hudson, which is still wooded land, is indicated by an historic sign by the road. You can walk the same couple hundred yard trail Arnold traveled to escape. If anything dropped out of his pockets, I didn't find it.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread