Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The find of the weekend, for me, was the Rev War button. It's about 1" diameter and most closely resembles British 10th Regiment examples, that I've seen. I'm excited either way, but of course, I'd love for it to be Continental Army. I just can't find that there were any like it among the Patriots. It is curious, though, because the internet says that the Tenth Regiment of Foot was up north during the war. But, the 10th Regiment of Virginia was involved in the Siege of Charleston, which is the area where the button was found. I included a view of the button from the side, because it's not domed, like the examples I've looked at. Thoughts?

Also, I watched mbcuce hold off a copperhead with his coil, while digging a Hibernia half-penny with his other hand. Couldn't walk away from that signal.

grouping.jpg
rev war.jpg
rev side.jpg
half real.jpg
hibernia.jpg
ramrod holder.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 27

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! Some awesome finds!! Congrats!!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! That S shaped piece in the first picture looks like a musket part. Congratulations:thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10th button is a classic British Rev War button. The give away is the way the back is made. The extra metal, called a "boss" is typical of British manufacture. Could have been captured by Americans, or a host of other reasons, including immigration as to why it was down south.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! We have our share of copperheads up here!!
Fortunately, they're not the most aggressive snakes, because they are definitely the best camouflaged. I try to do a 360 degree scan before I bend down to dig a hole.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! That S shaped piece in the first picture looks like a musket part. Congratulations:thumbsup:

Thanks for the ID. The last pic is a bent-up ramrod holder. Wonder if they might have been from the same gun.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 10th button is a classic British Rev War button. The give away is the way the back is made. The extra metal, called a "boss" is typical of British manufacture. Could have been captured by Americans, or a host of other reasons, including immigration as to why it was down south.

Thanks for the definitive ID. I knew I was heading down the wrong path. This is only my second Rev War button, so I'm very pleased to have it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you scrub all the dirt off, it would be wise to coat it with a topping of Elmer's glue thinned down with water. Otherwise, the button will start losing its edges and partially disintegrate. I have heard due to the cicadas this is going to be a banner year for copperheads. Ugh.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds, no copperheads for me though

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice finds there, congrats!

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way you tell it, its almost as if I don't have lost all ability to reason. I was safely positioned behind the coil of my trusty Nox. No way I was leaving that 21 signal behind.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great well rounded out hunt. Congrats on the button and silver.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I watched mbcuce hold off a copperhead with his coil, while digging a Hibernia half-penny with his other hand. Couldn't walk away from that signal.

I'd like to have seen the video of that encounter! :laughing7:

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome saves!!, glad you were able to hold off snake...:occasion14:

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'd like to have seen the video of that encounter! :laughing7:

Yeah. I'm not sure why I didn't at least take a picture. Maybe I was thinking that it would be better if there wasn't a record of our recklessness. But, then when I thought about the fact that the snake was a copperhead and the coin was a copper, I had to share.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately, they're not the most aggressive snakes, because they are definitely the best camouflaged. I try to do a 360 degree scan before I bend down to dig a hole.

Exactly right. Not nearly as aggressive as a water snake - especially one pissed off about being caught in a minnow trap. I found an old topo map that showed the adjacent hill to our last home called "copperhead hill". Other than one cat bitten when aggravating the snake, we never had an issue, but mowing and weed-wacking there was an adventure. We seemed to have dead copperheads on the road from spring thru fall. My herpetologist friend told me we were "so lucky" to be living where copperheads were the most abundant in the state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread