Review the land as it once was if possible

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I always try to do is when I get to a place of metal detecting is look around and see if anything shows me land fill, over landscaping happen, topsoil scraped, point is it’s important because the different layers of dirt can tell you much. So I ask you I’m not a educated person in this particular study of earth, lol. How can you figure, I mean when I get to clay I’d think nothing gets through that, topsoil, stone etc, but isn’t there a point of ends there. Anyhow anyone no of maps of satellites oh anything that can show how the original ground for most part, thanks

Upvote 2
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou sir

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always look at the trunks of the trees.
If the trees look like power poles=fill has been added to the site.
If the ground slopes away from the base of the tree, then it pretty well tells me no fill has been added.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another tip would be to look at the site in dry weather. Not the best time to detect, but sometimes you can make out features not obvious in wet weather.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really all amounts to the stratigraphy of the site. It is the fingerprint of the past and understanding what is shown will tell you about topsoil changes over the centuries past. Shovel tests will reveal strata layers that are similar to growth rings on trees. Doing several shovel tests on a particular site can confirm or deny where fill has been brought in. Finding artifacts at the varying strata then can help determine the age of the strata deposit, provided the artifacts were just lost there and not buried. Hope this helps,vn

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate it members, this hobby if you want to get the most of it means more than turn on and go. I’m here in western Pennsylvania so if any of you lived here or detected here let me no, recently found out cut rock foundation by the road, water was in , anyhow I should stay on track. Being most land was farmed, modernizing the land ruined those hopes, so winter time is best time to go shoreline and old train tracks train stations, grant you it’s always the dam jaggers that are in the good spots, ticks. But I’m no my limits, but we had many coal mines, anyone travel through here let me no, Ohio is 15 minutes away.

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite sites:

You can go back and look at aerial photos of the land a good ways back. I can go all the way back to 1955 where I live in the USA. Using these old aerial photos, I have found structures on my land that were once there but now gone. Yet remnants remain underground. If you can deal with the watermarks you can use the site for free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread