Revolutionary war books

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished reading "The Swamp Fox" by John Oller. It was a decent book with lots of information about Marion. I'm looking to read another book focusing on the revolutionary war, Virginia in particular. Does anyone have any recommendations?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Bicentennial Guide to the American Revolution" by Stember. 3 volumes and very detailed. You should be able to one quite reasonably.

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'll check them out right now.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing about Francis Marion. I read a lot about the swamp fox as a child and thought he was the hero of Cowpens. When I visited the Cowpens battlefield he isn't really mentioned. Seems his involvement there was pretty minor, mostly made famous by books rather than deeds. Stember was a friend of my father's and I highly recommend his books, he did a LOT of research and they are very factual.

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered it for $11 off amazon. Thanks again

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This book didn't mention much about him at cowpens. It was mainly his involvement in the skirmishes in south carolina and how he kept Cornwallis' attention and prevented reinforcement to Cornwallis from troops in SC. If half the writing is true, then he doesn't get the recognition he deserves from history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread