Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Upvote 141

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why not a Banner, beats most things hands down. Not only beautiful, but a great piece of American history as part of the Penobscot Expedition. Just fantastic.

I agree - this should be an obvious banner find.

The original poster has no influence over a find being made banner. Its up to us. For those unfamiliar with the process or who think "let others do it", the way to vote banner is to click on the little red box on the upper right corner of the original post. Then when you get a text box - briefly explain why this find should be banner. In a case where it appears the banner may have fallen through some cracks, so to speak, it does not hurt to vote again - just in case your original vote was lost somehow (computer glitch etc). There have been so many banner worthy finds lately, its easy to see how our posters here could have forgotten one (though the find and story is unforgettable IMO). Our wise mods consider our comments/votes and based upon OUR input, put the pic on the banner.

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are right!! If this beautiful GOLD coin recovered in New England at a very historic site doesn’t get a BANNER what does??????????????"?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:icon_scratch:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary, that is one sweet find!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on folks - let's contact the mods and lobby for this banner-worthy find! Let us all climb that hill (ok, that's actually part of the battle story...).

Perhaps it is being saved to show as a banner for the banner?

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I voted and wrote the following. "This should be a Banner find, hands down. Finding such a beautiful 1772 Gold Guinea is a rarity, but being found on an American battlefield, most likely lost by an Officer of the 82nd foot after an assault by US Marines and Militia in 1779 during our independence from Great Britain makes it an amazing find. It deserves its moment in the limelight. Chris "

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very interesting story and a unique find, especially in this situation on a battlefield.
Thanks for finding it and sharing. And yes it should receive the banner for so many reasons.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder (Kim)
Wow being someone with a passion for history anyone that writes" The detector is MY stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past , to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future" is about the most beautiful phrase I have ever read and thank u . I share that passion every time I unearth relics form our American Revolution. Girl u got passion as well and I thank u. . THanks , Gary

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder (Kim)
Wow being someone with a passion for history anyone that writes" The detector is MY stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past , to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future" is about the most beautiful phrase I have ever read and thank u . I share that passion every time I unearth relics form our American Revolution. Girl u got passion as well and I thank u. . THanks , Gary

Why, I feel honored! Thank you, Gary. Honestly...I was not a history buff in school, but when I started detecting and holding history in my hand I immediately felt connected with the past and wanted to learn more. For example, after finding an 1893 Columbian Exposition token I researched and learned about the World’s Fair in Chicago, listened to the audiobook “The Devil in the White City” learning more about the building and background of the fair, learned about H.H.Holmes (serial killer), rented the movie “Expo-Magic of the White City”etc... I do feel a passion for uncovering relics, love woods walks and nature, and discovering what lies below. I think I share your passion along with many other hunters here and I appreciate your very kind words. Happy hunting!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kim (aka Underwonder),
You have the best sig on tnet!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why, I feel honored! Thank you, Gary. Honestly...I was not a history buff in school, but when I started detecting and holding history in my hand I immediately felt connected with the past and wanted to learn more. For example, after finding an 1893 Columbian Exposition token I researched and learned about the World’s Fair in Chicago, listened to the audiobook “The Devil in the White City” learning more about the building and background of the fair, learned about H.H.Holmes (serial killer), rented the movie “Expo-Magic of the White City”etc... I do feel a passion for uncovering relics, love woods walks and nature, and discovering what lies below. I think I share your passion along with many other hunters here and I appreciate your very kind words. Happy hunting!

Hey Kim
Just replied to your PM and the pleasure is all mine. Both Rick (Megalodon ) and I agree we love your quote. The beauty of this great hobby is often like a good book takes you many places in search of history. I like to teach and share what I know and in turn learn from other as well. I think the battle I am hunting may mean more to me than the average guy or gal since being X army, a vet and retired I can almost feel that battle and it does help to find the relics. Certainly a great hobby with benefits of not only finding history but meet folks that have passion .Thanks Gary

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

Kim (aka Underwonder),
You have the best sig on tnet!

Thank you, Megalodon (aka Rick)! I have read your posts with interest.

Funny, this past winter I walked the Florida east coast shore looking for Megalodon tooth. I found great white, lemon shark, sand shark but not the elusive megalodon (although someone else found one)....but now I have I have found “Megalodon” by way of a person [emoji6]. This hobby has led me to many interesting people, places, and other interests. Most recently am involved in historical cemetery restorations...no detecting there but interesting history.

Wishing you well.

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah yes....and a vote in for Banner....

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Come on folks - let's contact the mods and lobby for this banner-worthy find! Let us all climb that hill (ok, that's actually part of the battle story...).

Perhaps it is being saved to show as a banner for the banner?

The banner system needs an overhaul- someone is being subjective.
Maybe there needs to be a panel of 6-12 experts on t net who all vote on what makes banner.
So many great finds with many banner votes don’t make banner.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The banner system needs an overhaul- someone is being subjective.
Maybe there needs to be a panel of 6-12 experts on t net who all vote on what makes banner.
So many great finds with many banner votes don’t make banner.

Yup I and assume Rick (Megalodon) agree with that opinion. I did read Jeff of Pa's about the Banner thing and ironically he gave me on my gold coin find a vote and wrote "Will see where it goes". I don't agree that u should be posting comments about other folks finds as a requirement for this Banner thing. I see something like your butt0n or the ones just found recently and will indeed write something . WE gravitate to what interests us. A g0ld thimble someone eyeballed is a great find but does not move my excitement needle much. In my opini0n only I think what is found should stand on it's own without the personality of the person. Just my thoughts and unfortunately think many good find if like ships have sailed and the mates were on shore duty and missed them. G

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Straight from the rule book ladies and gentlemen.......

"and not be Hit & run Members, who show up to post an amazing find then leave again for 6 months ."

A 6 year hiatus as mentioned in the OP's opening sentence, probably followed by another hiatus. I absolutely love this Banner rule. You can't just show up on game day and expect to play, you gotta practice and be part of the team.

Disclaimer: Every time I quote a banner rule on an item that members are lobbying for or complaining about, the item usually makes the Banner lol!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup I and assume Rick (Megalodon) agree with that opinion. I did read Jeff of Pa's about the Banner thing and ironically he gave me on my gold coin find a vote and wrote "Will see where it goes". I don't agree that u should be posting comments about other folks finds as a requirement for this Banner thing. I see something like your butt0n or the ones just found recently and will indeed write something . WE gravitate to what interests us. A g0ld thimble someone eyeballed is a great find but does not move my excitement needle much. In my opini0n only I think what is found should stand on it's own without the personality of the person. Just my thoughts and unfortunately think many good find if like ships have sailed and the mates were on shore duty and missed them. G
Yes

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread