Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I'm not sure what this is. It was caked with clay/dirt. I could see a little bit of silver along one edge, so I put it in some lemon juice and water and brushed it with a soft brush. I couldn't believe it when I saw the lion. There was some Revolutionary War action in the region and I assumed it had to be British military, but there is no regiment number and no text, so now I'm doubting it. Although, Insignia of Independence does show some cartridge bag badges that do not have any numbers or letters.
The site had a few tombac buttons but also early 19th century stuff.
The piece is copper alloy with a thick silver plate. It's slightly convex and probably had at least four prongs on the back that seem to have been worked off. The measurements are
3 1/2" X 2 5/8"
Any ideas?

Attachments

• lion plate1.jpg
    lion plate1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 593
  • lion plate2.jpg
    lion plate2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 449
Upvote 45

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer / solve to this... IMO... MIGHT... lie.... ...... ..... ..... .............. here....

ARMS AND CRESTS OF THE COLONELS OF REGIMENTS TO THE YEAR 1746
P. Sumner

A preview to which is shown here... which CAN be researched if one would put forth.

PS...

You have something very special... definitely a banner find.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One guess of it's function, if it has 4 prongs to attach it to leather is a Horse Blinker (although I avoided stating this as I'm not very confident with if as an ID, although I'm pretty sure it went somewhere on a horse):

In it's favour:
  1. Would be it's size & shape.
  2. Construction elements similar to other silver plated versions, & 4 prongs
Against it:
  1. It would be the only one I've seen with a Livery, but seen many with Family initials

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked into the book ARC mentioned
ARMS AND CRESTS OF THE COLONELS OF REGIMENTS TO THE YEAR 1746
P. Sumner

seem the arms & crest were only used up until the royal warrant of 1751

No Colonel to put his Arms, Crest, Device, or Livery, on any part of the Appointments of the Regiment under his Command.

royal warrant of 1751 pg 1

royal warrant of 1751 pg 2

found a list of Colonels in SC during the Colonial period,maybe 20/21. maybe the area you
found the item, was in a Colonial war zone.

or the item might have something to do with the proprietors mentioned in the above link

Annotation:
South Carolina's proprietors envisioned establishing a feudal society in their land grant. They kept huge landed estates for themselves,and, with the assistance of the English philosopher John Locke, drew up a plan, known as the Fundamental Constitutions of Carolina, which would have given them the power of feudal lords. The scheme called for a three-tiered hereditary nobility--consisting of "proprietors," "landgraves," and "caciques"--who would own forty percent of the colony's land and serve as a Council of Lords and recommend all laws to a parliament elected by small landowners. But like other feudal visions, this one failed. South Carolina's settlers rejected virtually all of this plan and immigrants refused to move to the region until it was replaced by a more democratic system of government.

The Fundamental Constitutions of Carolina : March 1, 1669 (1) (2)

I'm going to keep looking, I want to know what it is,I've never seen anything like it.
do we have to know what the item is, to vote banner, JMO its banner worthy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO - you need to focus your research post 1800.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread