Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a wax seal ring
It is most definately...

BUT... IMO... not just "any ole".... again IMO... this one just hooked me...FOR... there is only one other ring that i have seen that resembles this one... and lets just say... its SUPER rare... RARER than rare.... rare....

LEt me just say it one more time... RARE>.

I want to do a little homework on this before i say anymore... in the meanwhile... lets see what OR IF any others want to chime in on this ... again IMO ... KILLER find.

This ring... DO NOT CLEAN IT IN ANY WAY ! other than a LIGHT clean... hot water rinse and LIGHTLY PAD dry with SOFT towel.

Finds like this... IS the reason... is the drive... IS the everything that metal detecting is all about.

Oh and PS.... What makes this site so cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now i know this may "shock" some of you veterans in this... let alone others that will come on board here and read the following... AND BEFORE>>> ! the whole enchilada get wacky with "guesses" that are not of forethought / research(s)...

Take your time... THINK about THIS first question i would like you to ask yourself is...
have you seen "PIE" before...? IF your answer is "yes"... then... post away. :)

I am asking those... who like me... have delved into pirate history enough... for this to "register"... like it did the moment i laid eyes on it.
I was STUNNED for half a second... and had to look a few times myself... then immediately compared it to the ONLY known example.

For this ring has the same "look" of the ALL of history ONLY 1 DOCUMENTED.... ring that this ring fits.... TO A "T".
And it just so happens... It was found..... ON THE ONLY ...... AGAIN>>>> DOCUMENTED... FOR A FACT.....
"pirate ship".

THIS... and obviously a gold version.

161e14d54438c3b70d41912087e07964.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me to either be “very old” or just “old and crudely home-made”. I’m not seeing anything to suggest a pirate connection, nor any resemblance to the pirate ring recovered from the Whydah, beyond it being octagonal (which was rather common for signet and seal rings) and having some letters on it.

Three things struck me.

The symbol below the letters looks like it could be intended to be the wings of a dove; the sprays below potentially meant to be olive branches; and the ‘I’ in the letter group appears to be deliberately smaller than the ‘P’ and the ‘E’.

I would speculate that the whole might be a Christian expression for peace in the world, with perhaps the letters standing for PAX in ÆTERNUM (anglicised as PAX in ETERNUM) or something similar. I have nothing to support that speculation though, apart from modern signet ring examples with a similar kind of sentiment.

Pax Ring.jpg

[PS: it hasn’t been established what the letters ‘TEYE BA’ on the pirate ring from the Whydah actually mean. The ring itself appears to be European in origin, with its original inscription or engraving erased and replaced with those letters. There has been speculation that they’re an abbreviation for a Welsh “good luck” wish or that the ring belonged to a Royal Navy sailor-turned-pirate with the name “Teye”. Another theory is that they come from an African dialect (around a third of Whydah’s motley crew was from Africa) and specifically from the ‘Wolof’ dialect. The Wolof translation of the Bible includes the phrase “teye ba” twice, and in both cases from the Apostle Paul saying “I am coming to you”. It could be a sentimental promise by a pirate to return to his homeland/family; or could be interpreted as a dark joke in the sense of “I’m coming to get you”. Alternatively, Teye was both an Afro-Egyptian Queen/deity and a common name in what is now Senegal on the west coast of Africa.]

Upvote 10

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let the cat out of the bag
It looks to me to either be “very old” or just “old and crudely home-made”. I’m not seeing anything to suggest a pirate connection, nor any resemblance to the pirate ring recovered from the Whydah, beyond it being octagonal (which was rather common for signet and seal rings) and having some letters on it.

Three things struck me.

The symbol below the letters looks like it could be intended to be the wings of a dove; the sprays below potentially meant to be olive branches; and the ‘I’ in the letter group appears to be deliberately smaller than the ‘P’ and the ‘E’.

I would speculate that the whole might be a Christian expression for peace in the world, with perhaps the letters standing for PAX in ÆTERNUM (anglicised as PAX in ETERNUM) or something similar. I have nothing to support that speculation though, apart from modern signet ring examples with a similar kind of sentiment.

View attachment 1989691

[PS: it hasn’t been established what the letters ‘TEYE BA’ on the pirate ring from the Whydah actually mean. The ring itself appears to be European in origin, with its original inscription or engraving erased and replaced with those letters. There has been speculation that they’re an abbreviation for a Welsh “good luck” wish or that the ring belonged to a Royal Navy sailor-turned-pirate with the name “Teye”. Another theory is that they come from an African dialect (around a third of Whydah’s motley crew was from Africa) and specifically from the ‘Wolof’ dialect. The Wolof translation of the Bible includes the phrase “teye ba” twice, and in both cases from the Apostle Paul saying “I am coming to you”. It could be a sentimental promise by a pirate to return to his homeland/family; or could be interpreted as a dark joke in the sense of “I’m coming to get you”. Alternatively, Teye was both an Afro-Egyptian Queen/deity and a common name in what is now Senegal on the west coast of Africa.]
RC... as usual you go "above and beyond" a simple response.... which is great... And... you are correct on the common knowledge of the TEYE BA.
Obviously there is NO comparison in the text... and one should take more stock in ring shape comparison.

I am not saying this is definitely "pirate"... nor is this even the debate as mentioned.
Its is apparent you are not familiar with the "PIE"... and that thought i mentioned in this concerning responses in my above post... No offense intended.,, i was just seeing who out there has also seen the PIE / PYE mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I'm not familiar... please share.
I am trying to find out what it was... my recollection has eluded me on where / what.

I have been going over everything from old manuscript markings to gravestone markings and so on thus far.
with... so far nothing concrete yielded... obviously. :)

I have seen both PIE and PYE markings... just cannot pinpoint it.... HENCE the above in hopes something someone added would jog my memory.

Upvote 5

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a unique ring find... this is why we do what we do! :occasion14:

You've got to good 'History Detectives' currently working on your case with ARC and Red-Coat! :thumbsup:

Hope you get an I.D. on your find,
Dave

Upvote 3
OP
OP
K

Klowery

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2021
Sw ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These rings definitely look similar but I am wondering what the dark plating is made of. I've not seen a ring with this dark coloration and wondering if it was always this color or has turned. Got into this hobby this year just to find out what was buried in my yard and now I'm hooked

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread