johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this sounds crazy or not. Has anyone ever entertained the idea of riding the river beds (ATV's) of the Rio Puerco while looking for old deserted homesteads? I have 6 that I have found walking and using my spotting scope. I was thinking of dropping in off a bank with my atv and camping supplies and taking a ride for a couple of days. Wonder what kind of, "technicalities" I would have to worry about????? Would it be traspassing if I stayed on the river channel and came out only on BLM property?? That's what I have done so far only on foot though.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
johnnycat said:
I don't know if this sounds crazy or not. Has anyone ever entertained the idea of riding the river beds (ATV's) of the Rio Puerco while looking for old deserted homesteads? I have 6 that I have found walking and using my spotting scope. I was thinking of dropping in off a bank with my atv and camping supplies and taking a ride for a couple of days. Wonder what kind of, "technicalities" I would have to worry about????? Would it be traspassing if I stayed on the river channel and came out only on BLM property?? That's what I have done so far only on foot though.

Johnnycat: I think you'd be in for an interesting, though somewhat dangerous ride. Those vertical walls of the Puerco tend to slough unexpectedly and frequently, as I'm sure you're aware.

As for the legalities, I think in New Mexico it depends on whether it's a 'navigable' channel. Unless I'm mistaken property lines to the center of unnavigable waterways if they don't entirely cross them.

I'd suggest calling the State Engineer Office to make certain whether I'm correct about the legalities, and whether Rio Puerco is considered the one, or the other.

Interesting question and the Puerco runs through some fascinating areas. Hope you'll share whatever you find out about running it.

Jack

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highmountain said:
johnnycat said:

Johnnycat: I think you'd be in for an interesting, though somewhat dangerous ride. Those vertical walls of the Puerco tend to slough unexpectedly and frequently, as I'm sure you're aware.

As for the legalities, I think in New Mexico it depends on whether it's a 'navigable' channel. Unless I'm mistaken property lines to the center of unnavigable waterways if they don't entirely cross them.

I'd suggest calling the State Engineer Office to make certain whether I'm correct about the legalities, and whether Rio Puerco is considered the one, or the other.

Interesting question and the Puerco runs through some fascinating areas. Hope you'll share whatever you find out about running it.

Jack

Thank you. I give your thoughts a shot. Let you know what happens.

John

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
johnnycat said:
Highmountain said:
johnnycat said:

Jack

Thank you. I give your thoughts a shot. Let you know what happens.

John

John: Someone just pointed out to me that you're in Rio Rancho. I'm just to the east of you up the mountain. Small world.

Sometime this afternoon it dawned on me you might be referring to the Puerco downstream near the confluence with the Rio Grand, whereas I was thinking Puerco up north of I40 toward Cabazon etc. If you're thinking downstream what I said about the sloughing banks etc will be meaningless to you because the channel banks become shallower and gentler to the south. Flow tends to improve down that way, as well, as it nears the Rio Grande. Someone's done a lot of work on the channel down on that end and if that's what you're planning it might help you to know which of the agencies work that channel... US Army Corps of Engineers or the Bureau of Reclamation most likely. Whomever it is, you can figure they think of themselves as owning it. If you let them think you believe it too they'll probably tell you a lot more than you want to know in answer to what you're planning.

Best bet would be to bypass the secretary types and ask to talk directly to one of the engineers. They tend to be good folks in both agencies, provided they have deep voices. If they have high-pitch voices you probably won't get much help out of them whatever agency they're working for.

Just some thoughts and ramblings based on personal experiences.

Jack

Attachments

• East from Mount Taylor.jpg
    East from Mount Taylor.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 663

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
hey John
ive been through the puerco on horse back from hiway 6 south 20 miles or so and what ive found is a bog thats so deep our cattle would get stuck trying to walk across it so be careful ive had my polaris 500 sportsman almost disappear in the rio grande before. but hey if your interested id go with ya

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnycat,

Don't forget that you may come up against fences that have posted Laguna Indian Rez and Canoncito Navajo Indian Rez that do cross the Rio Puerco! It sounds like a great idea if you can approach from I-40 and head north. Canoncito Navajo borders the west side of the Puerco about 8 miles plus from I-40. San Ygnacio and San Francisco Ruins (hispanic settlements) are located on Laguna Indian Rez. There is an old abandoned CCC camp there too. These places would be fantastic to get into if you know anyone (Laguna/Canoncito folks) that would let you in. Any where north and west of Rio Rancho is pretty much open unless you run up against ranchers. . . But you knew that, right? ;D

Mesa Prieta has a pretty good drop off to the west into the valley, that's if your coming out from the western edge of Rio Rancho. I know it's rough getting down even if I walk it. As for the three abandoned settlements: Cabezon is pretty much off limits and is posted no trespassing; Guadalupe is open with alot of interesting ruins and such; Casa Salazar, CAREFUL here, there are people still living there and have the hillbillish mentality. . . they don't like outsiders coming in and snooping around. These three settlements I'm talking about are from coming from St. Rd. 44 north of San Ysidro. I don't know the turn off road number, sorry.

Best of luck in your Rio Puerco Treks, :thumbsup:

Let me know thoughts,

TC-NM

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a matter of fact I will probably be, 'puttin in' just South of Cabezon Peak. I have become very friendly with one of the local ranchers and he says why not. Took quite awhile to gain his confidence. However, it hasn't paid off yet. I have hunted several old homesteads on his property and have yet to find a single penny. And it's a 134 mile round trip from Rio Rancho. He told me the other day that he has many more old homesteads to show me. Unfortunately I can't bring anybody in as he said from the first,'you are the only one that can come in here, no exceptions'.

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnycat,

Speaking about finding pennies, In searching with metal detectors, I think that
it would be rare to find any coins but, maybe relics. Every little
community from 1870's to 1940's had very little money and the people
used the barter system instead.
The storekeeper or mercantile used to trade merchandise with the
Hispanos and Navajos for their sheep and goats. The larger cities such
as Albuq., Santa Fe, and Gallup, I can see where there was more money to
be spent and lost.

I have had stories told to me of my great Grandfather and Grandfather on
my Dad's side were shepherds during 1870's to about the 1920's. They
resided in Bosque, NM and used to take their herds from there, to
Laguna, then to Gallup and then to the four corners area and back. I
don't know for certain that they traveled back downstream along the Rio
Puerco back to Belen, back home?

Good Luck in your searches,

TC-NM

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
the news last night said the medical investigator dated the bones to be 80 to 300 years old do you think it was part of those silver Morgans that were found

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Arbuckles:

You mean the Belen silver Morgans that were dug after the train
robbery story was published?

arbuckles3

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Los Lunas NM
yea that one ive never actually read the whole story so i dont know the details of it but was any one killed in the story?? or was it just a coincidence that thare are 2 bodies out on the mesa that are 80 years old or maybe it part of another cache i have heard a story that the wild bunch (butch cassidy and the sundance kid ) robbed the first national bank of belen and rode to the ladrone mountains and stashed there loot there before heading down to mexico

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Arbuckles:

Let me go thru my mag collection and check before I just wing it.

Don't think bodies were left to rot.

BTW the article was written by Ken Weinman of Alberquerque.
Don't know if he's still writing for W&E.
Been to the ghost town of Hickman he wrote about. N of Pietown.

Several others have wanted details of the Belen story so I better
bite the bullet and dig out my old mags.

lastleg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread