RIP: Dr. Oren Swearigen

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Received the following email by way of Floyd Mann and Siegfried Schlagrule:

"I don't know if you knew Oren Swearigen, DDS of College Station, TX---but he died a few hours ago. I had corresponded with him since 2001. He was somewhat a treasure hunter and most recently involved in a 3 book non-fiction series regarding the treasure of Victorio Peak / Doc Noss called THE GOLD HOUSE. I've read the first 2 books & just started the third book."

Some of my earlliest memories of Treasurenet, stretching back to the late 1990s, were of Dr. Oren's posts on the Victorio Peak treasure. Many of those posts have been lsot as Treasurenet changed it's message board system on one, if not two occasions and much of the older data was lost to viewers. For me, this represents a loss of many good memories of men like Oren Swearigen, Hillbilly Bob Brewer and Richard Walburn among others.

Dr. Oren provided a great deal of information on Victorio Peak and while it was not always without controversy, he always impressed me as someone that knew what he was talking about. More importantly, his posts generated discussion, compare and contrast of information, and a unique perspective not had by many. Even though he had not posted recently, so far as I know, his contributions cannot be understated.

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Funny thing, 10 seconds on Google and I find a post thread still hovering in cyberspace by none other than Dr. Oren that also features replies from Brewer and Walburn. What wonderful memories...

TreasureNet Treasure Hunting Forum - Victorio Peak and afterthought

Some more Dr. Oren threads:

TreasureNet Treasure Hunting Forum - Victorio Peak, from a military point of view

TreasureNet Treasure Hunting Forum - victorio peak This one features a reply, perhaps mroe than one, from Rich in TX who has also passed away. I had the honor of meeting Rich at one of the Treasures of Utah sponosred camp-outs.

These posts represent only a few fragments still drifting around in cyberspace of some really intersting conversations and even more interesting people...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randy,

Oren posted under the name "Martian Monster" on TNet.

Recently Oren sent me a lot of information he had regarding something not so well known in N.M. He told me that he had really wanted to know what was at the bottom of a certain cave he was shown. I was rushing to get something together to get a look. The fact that it is deep within the confines of WSMR (White Sands Missile Range) is the only thing that has slowed me down. Now, I will have to put a plaque in that cave for him when I get down there.

He was actually stationed at White Sands in the early 1950s. He did a whole lot of off time exploring while he was there. He had a lot of information on that area. He was friends with the Noss Family and a lot of other people. As Randy mentioned, he was one of the major sources of information (and a big backer) of "The Gold House" Trilogy of books about Victorio Peak, NM.

For the many years I have known him, he was always a gentleman, he shared information, and he was always helpful with answers to many questions I had. I will miss him.

Mike McChesney

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
I've never been anyone to challenge anyone's notions too strongly Roger and I know Treasurenet is sorta funny about religion so I'm going to keep this real brief. This thread was designed to honor Dr. Oren and what he contributed to the Treasurenet community. Mormon bashing aside, I'd appreciate it if you'd respect the passing of a man many admired and respected. You want to trash Mormons, do it in another thread of your own design. That is neither the purpose of this post or of Treasurenet as a whole.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Randy. Not only did he trash Mormons in his last post, he trashed Oren in his previous post that I quoted. That was where I drew the line. No, I am not Mormon either. HAHAHA

No Roger, you didn't take control over anything. All you did was to insult a dead man that has never been anything but nice to everyone that knew him. And again (two times now), your information on the ranch and family name near the cave is wrong (like I would even tell you if you were right). See, if you REALLY HAD taken control over me, then you may have gotten me to say the information you are trying to get. :icon_scratch:???:laughing7: You're not that sharp!

I don't trash talk your dad. He is gone and can't defend himself. I don't do that. Oren deserves the same respect.

Mike

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Dr. W. Oren Swearingen Jr. was born in Beaumont, Texas on the 6th of December, 1929.

Services will be held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at 2815 Welsh Avenue in College Station at 10:00 a.m. on October 9th, 2014. Burial will be at the Millheim Cemetery in Austin County on the old ancestral land of the Spanish land grant.

He grew up in Port Arthur, and graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in 1948. He then enrolled at Texas A&M University and became a member of the 'fightin' Texas Aggie band for all four years. Upon leaving A&M in June of 1952, he entered the Baylor University College of Dentistry in Dallas, and graduated in June of 1956. In October of 1956, he entered the U.S. Army Dental Corps with the rank of 1st Lieutenant, and was assigned to White Sands Proving Ground in New Mexico, and the next year received a promotion to Captain.

After military service, he practiced dentistry in Dallas, Hughes Springs, El Paso and Bryan. He was a member of the Dallas County Dental Society, El Paso County Dental Society and the Brazos County Dental Society. About 1966 he bought a Cessna 182 Skylane and loved to fly in it. While pursuing his hobby of genealogical research, he discovered that he was a direct descendant of men who took part in the Texas Revolution as well as the American Revolution. He joined the "Sons of the Republic of Texas" and also the "Sons of the American Revolution" and twice served as president of the El Paso Chapter. When a new Chapter was chartered in Bryan/College Station, he was the first president of it.

Oren is survived by his wife, the former Ann Alexander and their three children, Rebecca Ann Sampson, of Kingwood, William Van Swearingen, of Utah, and Robert Oren Swearingen, of Granbury. He is also survived by his 17 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.

So long Soldier

Rog'

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not when the original poster asked you to play elsewhere:

This thread was designed to honor Dr. Oren and what he contributed to the Treasurenet community. Mormon bashing aside, I'd appreciate it if you'd respect the passing of a man many admired and respected. You want to trash Mormons, do it in another thread of your own design. That is neither the purpose of this post or of Treasurenet as a whole.

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Now the OP is Dictator of free license

gee

see the parameters ?

Tha's what I'm talking about

Western Lineal Thought consciousness

brought upon the Hemisphere , those rules and laws .

No Roger, it's called exercising a modicum of respect and courtesy. It's also called, "hoping you can act like you have some class so that I don't have to involve a Mod, especially when this can be easily rectified by you starting your own thread." It's also called, "I know Treasurenet takes a dim view of religious and political discussion and I don't want this thread closed because Roger can't adhere to a simple and politely executed request."

So again Roger, I ask you...unless you're honoring Dr. Oren, please leave it off this thread.

And for what it's worth, thanks for posting his obit...THAT was classy...

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
No Snow, they aren't because Dr. Oren isn't asking you not to be disrespectful and disruptive...I am. Make your own post, bash him all you want but for the last time...STOP POSTING disrespectful and irrelevant material on this post.

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Going to repost this as a way of refocusing the purpose of this thread. Once again:

Dr. W. Oren Swearingen Jr. was born in Beaumont, Texas on the 6th of December, 1929.

Services will be held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at 2815 Welsh Avenue in College Station at 10:00 a.m. on October 9th, 2014. Burial will be at the Millheim Cemetery in Austin County on the old ancestral land of the Spanish land grant.

He grew up in Port Arthur, and graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in 1948. He then enrolled at Texas A&M University and became a member of the 'fightin' Texas Aggie band for all four years. Upon leaving A&M in June of 1952, he entered the Baylor University College of Dentistry in Dallas, and graduated in June of 1956. In October of 1956, he entered the U.S. Army Dental Corps with the rank of 1st Lieutenant, and was assigned to White Sands Proving Ground in New Mexico, and the next year received a promotion to Captain.

After military service, he practiced dentistry in Dallas, Hughes Springs, El Paso and Bryan. He was a member of the Dallas County Dental Society, El Paso County Dental Society and the Brazos County Dental Society. About 1966 he bought a Cessna 182 Skylane and loved to fly in it. While pursuing his hobby of genealogical research, he discovered that he was a direct descendant of men who took part in the Texas Revolution as well as the American Revolution. He joined the "Sons of the Republic of Texas" and also the "Sons of the American Revolution" and twice served as president of the El Paso Chapter. When a new Chapter was chartered in Bryan/College Station, he was the first president of it.

Oren is survived by his wife, the former Ann Alexander and their three children, Rebecca Ann Sampson, of Kingwood, William Van Swearingen, of Utah, and Robert Oren Swearingen, of Granbury. He is also survived by his 17 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.

So long Soldier

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasminder2, thread is a memorial thread, show respect or don't post in it, it is not open for debate...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He died where I used to call home. RIP. Always sad to lose a fellow member/hunter.

If you see your post missing know that I have cleaned this thread up.If I come back you might find yourself unable to post.
Thank you.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I was beginning to get a little sideways.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA By sideways I meant pissed off. I have always admitted to being a little sguirrely!

Mike

MARSradio

Aug 3, 2011
RIP my friend Oren. Nothing but a friendly man to me. He volunteered his personal information to me and sent me several CD videos at his own cost, just because i asked. i dont personally chase this mystery, but was stationed at WSMR in the late 80's and had access to the area.
In his Obit. here i see mention of the Baylor School of Dentistry. As a huge Baylor University fan, I can assure you that he would correct you, as he did me the first time we spoke. He was an AGGIE all the way.

Dave

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIP my friend Oren. Nothing but a friendly man to me. He volunteered his personal information to me and sent me several CD videos at his own cost, just because i asked. i dont personally chase this mystery, but was stationed at WSMR in the late 80's and had access to the area.
In his Obit. here i see mention of the Baylor School of Dentistry. As a huge Baylor University fan, I can assure you that he would correct you, as he did me the first time we spoke. He was an AGGIE all the way.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Yes. Oren was never anything but nice and gracious to me as well.

But to correct you a bit; He graduated from A&M, but then went to Baylor Medical School for Dentistry.

Mike

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was saddened when I received the email. Martian Monster shared things I hope to check out someday. RIP my friend.

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
quote Gollum about my Dad : " I don't trash talk your dad. He is gone and can't defend himself. I don't do that. Oren deserves the same respect. "

now read gollums statements trashing my Dad in my next post .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread