jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good year for dimes(the 1916's from Denver Would have been Circulating by then)

The Topeka state journal.
(Topeka, Kan.), 03 Oct. 1917

000aaa.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...hole&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

No Sign of it Now, But considering the Era, and Described as Having "Constantly Changing" water. Was probably
on or Close to & Fed by, the Creek.

000bbb.jpg

000ccc.jpg

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I grew up in Topeka and if you go to Ripley park you'd better be well armed. It's a ghetto like much of Topeka is. Free handouts and cheap cost of living has ruined that town.
Actually have someone there to watch your back or you'll get jumped and everything stolen. It's not uncommon there.

MDKamper

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too bad it looks like a good spot to try out. Not worth getting jumped though.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've thought about little Oakland park on Wabash street, 900 block I think it is. Used to be a pool there when my mom grew up in the 50s and 60s but was replaced by the one at billard park after that. I'm not even sure of how it was laid out back then but probably some silver there somewhere.
Either way it's legal to conceal so live free and shoot straight hehe.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I was there I'd check but moved away in 06. The old high schools and pools/parks around Topeka give me something to do when I'm there visiting. I haven't researched much just thinking back to what I remember but 1964 was a few years before my day anyway haha.
I found 8 cents (3 wheats) and two clad dimes in my mom's yard a couple years ago when we were there for her retirement party.
The same trip I searched half a day along Happy Hollow road north of town for two rings my wife lost years ago but filled 4 Wal-Mart bags with pull tabs, bottle caps, foil and that kinda crap instead.
No huge monetary loss but her engagement and wedding rings i bought 28 years ago.
I graduated high school and had a month off before basic training at ft benning so I took some cash I had saved and sold my dirt bike and bought her the nicest 10 k with diamonds I could afford haha.
Maybe 15 years later a car we were in caught fire on Happy Hollow and we all got out fine but she had her rings in her lap when she jumped out and forgot in the panic. Her rings went off into the grass never to be seen again. Someday I might find them and I'm sure they are there still but more sentimental than valuable.
Selling my dirt bike for a girl back then seemed like such a sacrifice haha. Boy was I short sighted.

MDKamper

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap 4 Walmart bags full! That's a lot of digging! Well hopefully you find it one of these days. I hunted a yard in Topeka once and found a few wheaties but nothing else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions