River stone looks worked

Jsouthern487

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this buried at the edge of a large creek in East Tennessee. 1632176375500664535721254634961.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, looks like natural water worn stone to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jsouthern487

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Now you know what's coming next....I saw a photo of another stone that looked very similar on a georgia artifact museum(I can't remember but can find the link). Do you think the grooved lines that gradually get thinner along the entire edge of the stone is natural? Work with me here, I want my river rock to be special ��

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Now you know what's coming next....I saw a photo of another stone that looked very similar on a georgia artifact museum(I can't remember but can find the link). Do you think the grooved lines that gradually get thinner along the entire edge of the stone is natural? Work with me here, I want my river rock to be special ��

I can't compare the two with out seeing it so can't say, can only say I don't see anything in pictures posted that suggest stone was worked, it looks like water erosion.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Georgia artifact museum specimen means nothing to your pictures. Yours is not the Georgia one.

Your stone is soft. Start there. What is it? Sandstone? Was it created by layers of sediment?
Soft stone has uses. What are they? How would such use relate to your stone?
Was such material used in the context of where you found it?

What part of your stone was worked, and how?
I for one can't tell much of the scalloped looking edge. Why would it be scalloped vs smooth? And how?
The rectangular larger surface looks more uniform and tapered. Means only that it looks uniform and tapered.
IF human hands had any thing to do with it , explain. How. Why. Does it match known tools , designs, method of working , of the people in the era of the context you found it in?

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your stone is special.
Pages of history in it.
Records of weather events and conditions.
Hydraulics of the creek fluctuations. Rain , storms ,who knows what else?
Times of deposits the creek carried or scrubbed along.
A study of it and the area will tell more. If you find a layer of it , you'll have more to study.
If it is a one off , find it's source...

My area , three foot depth along a river I found a relic in where the bank eroded only goes back to the early nineties. Spring flooding carries lots of sediments. Far into the woods too!
Your creek will be different. But how is up to you to sort out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread