Road Trip! Illinois to Arizona. Suggestions appreciated

NapervilleDan

Dec 29, 2019
Naperville, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m leaving early tomorrow morning. Heading to Tucson area.

I was thinking of making an extra day (or 2) of it if I could plan a few cool places to detect on my route.

Chicago to Springfield, Il. To Kansas City, then west north of Wichita, sw (north of) El Paso.

If anyone knows of any abandoned towns or parks I could swing by, please let me know.

Thanks. Dan

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing on detecting. Good luck with fines when your out of state plates are seen by the local police.

They are getting pretty serious about it around here.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest you check out the current restrictions on places you hope to detect. It's not uniform across the country. Up here, many counties do not want you there if you are a non-resident. You can drive through but keep goin, don't stop. Enforcement is pretty much at the education level right now, but if enough people keep pushing it, they will step up to the next level of enforcement.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Maryland you can get a year in jail and fine for going out against the lock down. I think I woke up in a Nazi state.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
People sometimes take Rt 66 (I-40) There are many places where you can get off the Interstate and take the Mother Road for awhile.
New Mexico is hardly populated. I've never been bothered when I've gone this route.
I used to find abandoned houses etc. but lately many have chain link around them. That's fairly new. The last 10 years or so. Liabilities etc.
The Interstate in NM has little to offer unless you get 10 miles off I-40 in any direction but better North.. Then things can get interesting.
I would avoid I-10 if possible. The Border Patrol is active there dealing with border crossing and drug runners. Worse in Texas ( or was ).

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are pulled over....do not look them in the eye, sweat profusely, stutter and mumble and state you have nothing in the trunk.......

Or you could play it cool and very polite and even ask for spots they would recommend or not...these guys know the terrain very well. Trust your Government.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Best bet is to look patriotic. I have my USAF hat I put on my dash. Military plates Etc.
These guys deal with some questionable characters at times so cut them some slack. Don't be too friendly.
Don't drive too slow or fast. No selfies with officers. Don't tell them cop jokes. What has worked in the past is
to say "My brother's on the job." You will be asked where so have an answer. Maybe like Denver.
Easier is just stay off I-10.
If hauling anything of interest to cops, refuse a search claiming what ever Amendments apply. Probably won't work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions