Rock Crusher $36 bucks Homemade and tearing it up!

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So after a ton of rock crushing with a pos-thammer and heavy prybar, i decided to do the Google Patents and look at rock crushers, I also looked at buying a 800$ rock crusher. After all of this I decided to build one (took 3 days of goofing off in the garage)!
Items:

1. 1947 3" Irrigation pump (broken motor) was 28$ at the junk yard but wieghs in at 50lbs and is 3/4 inch thick Cast Iron.
2. 2 12ton Chain hooks 3.37$ at home depot
3. 2 edger (lawn edger) blades 5.00$ Home depot
4. A Black n Decker 5HP 24volt DC (!another yay moment! NOW portable!) Rechargeable Lawnmower, FREE! yup lady next door put it on the curb battery's dead (And I never throw away anything, according to my wife)... Truth be told my garage is Way to full.
5. 1 12V Car battery. Free again Kept the old one out of my sons El Camino... lol after it went dead,, but turned out after the replacement it was his alternator.
6. Bolts from the bolt can, and solder.. etc etc...

Ripped the old lawnmower apart shortened the bar down to 1/2 its size, and placed the old switch on it, then figured out spacing to mount batterys, and the built in Recarger (yup no need to buy a battery charger, used the one provided) mounted all of these, then pulled the motor off the pump. (ALOT of pounding rust was holding everything together) anyhoo mounted the 5HP motor from the Lawnmower to the Intake on the Pump (Thus reversing the way water or ROCK travels thru the pump housing) Bolted it after doing a tap and die to the motors bolt holes. Then used a ring to mount the 2 Chain hooks together. while they were still hot from the welding i put em on the plastic clutch piece that normally held the lawnmower blade in place, on top of these i placed the 2 lawn edger blades and bolted it down to the input shaft. (Already threaded). i came up with this configuration after trying chains, and the old lawnmower blade... they did not weigh enough for me to consider them a "Hammer". the bottom edger plates take the small particulate and mash it against the housing beffore allowing it to flow thru the 1" bottom hole (was the old motor shaft input).
Mounted the entire housing together with 1/2 the bolts used before and used a water resistant grease on each of the holes..(Rust is my enemy) then mounted the housing of the pump to the old lawnmower housing. made a 8" down tube from the shaft hole to funnel the "Sand" into a large tote (hindsight says i might should have built 2 of these 1 portable and one on a table).
:thumbsup:

here are the pictures!
IMG_20130402_133048_144.jpg IMG_20130402_133057_905.jpg IMG_20130402_133818_762.jpg IMG_20130402_133917_921.jpg IMG_20130402_133926_595.jpg IMG_20130402_133935_631.jpg
and some more!
in next add uggg i need more upload space! Treasurenet!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK so here are the next set! IMG_20130402_133945_063.jpg IMG_20130402_134000_015.jpg IMG_20130402_134020_274.jpg IMG_20130402_134030_543.jpg OK and so after i took the pictures i cleaned up the patio, and removed it from the side of the Hottub..(yes wife not happy about the mess.. but she's extatic about the Crusher)!

processes about 2" square rocks as fast as you can feed it, and water use is pretty minimal about 5 gallons an hour.

Last edited:

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking build. Do you crush over the water for dust control? The cast iron housing should last for a long time, as long as the impact doesn't crack it.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya, after cranking it up dry.. it blew a very fine dust out the intake.. so i drilled a tap for water in the side... works much better and i wont be loosing any of the really fine gold we get a lot of.
The cast Iron housing is wearing alot less than the Chain hooks.. odly they are Scooping out like spoons.. either way there cheap...I think if you look at the front you can see a black spot on it.. there are 2 Rare earth magnets front and down spout (from an old hard drive) to catch any Iron filings.. hematite and i have to clean them off about every 20 minutes there full... but it helps with the magnets later..lol

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So i ran my Crushed rock thru a sieve to get it to 1/8 inch... 2 hours on rock crusher yielded 1 (5 gallon) at 1/8 and 1 (5 gallon ) of PEA Gravel sized Chunks. so approximately 200 lbs of rock.. now to build a cleaning sluice.. my panning skills suck... the wife and i have been practicing,, but it truly is an art form,, and now i have way too much amalgamate to process..lmao
So a Shaker Table it is ...lol i will post my sluice /shaker table when done... the research has been intensive but i think i can build it for under a 100$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions