mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I would google Tenn. rock clubs. I know TN has some amazingly colorful agates. Mid state. I don't know anything about your location. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I have collected many agate...We have 2 clubs one sorta local and have searched everything to find rocks here in E TN other than red clay lol thanks

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
red clay. lovely stuff isn't it? is this where you are finding your crystals? the amazing crystals in Arkansas are in it.

OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
No luck finding anything in the red clay...I mostly find my rocks in the river that comes out of NC..and Watauga Lake...I have found a few "fossils" least that's what I was told...that were in the woods that surround our area...Only problem is having to watch where I hunt as most is Appalachian Trail and Cherokee forest.

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
There is a pretty yellow mineral/element you can find around the Cherokee Forest! There is some agate here but I forget the location off hand. As the poster above said. Google TN rocks and minerals. There are a couple of great clubs! I found a few yesterday in a cave in middle TN that will now go into my aquariums. Just sold most my tumblers but do have some nice material left if your into that....But you are in gold country!

Mike

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TeAra, I'm in northern middle Tennessee. Do you have quartz geodes where you are at? We find quite a few of those here. Not sure if there are any lakes near you, but I have had good luck with fossils (mainly crinoid stems and shells) by walking the shorelines of the local ones.

OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find geodes...have not gave up searching tho...I mostly find quartz rocks and agates...have tons of them...I live near Watauga Lake...I can find a few deep black quartz there when the levels are low..I am closer to the NC border

OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
The forest surrounds the area I live in but with the rules and laws I have to be careful where I search since most says not to take anything...Most of the local caves have already been cleaned out or are off limits around here which is sad cause I would be happy with just pictures of them...I found my agates on a construction job site my husband and I worked on as well as a few fossils which no one seems to know what kind...have yet to find gold but man when I do will let all know lol...what kind of materials do you have? Like I said I do not have many.

Lorims401

Dec 26, 2015
Jonesborough
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey TeAra. My name is Lori and I'm kind of new to the whole Rock hounding awesomeness! I live in Jonesborough. I've heard from several people that there are some great crystals to be found in Butler, Unicoi and places in Erwin. Only got this info a few days ago and haven't went hunting those places for myself yet. I'm waiting to hear back from a surveyor to tell me about some places "specifically" to go to. I'll keep you updated as I learn. I have parents that live on an interesting part of the Nolichucky river and have found some awesome agates when the river is down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread