Rock Net?

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can use snow chains for cars, trucks and semi's. Also chains and logging chokers will work. When pulling boulders make sure you have several good quality snatch blocks. Each block can increase your pulling power double.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys, I do have truck tire chains already the full chain type but they don't hold up too well. I have to repeatedly take them to an anvil and re address the links. I saw one somewhere that was made out of heavy chain and iron pipe. The pipe sections were only about a foot long or less even. It looked like tire chains for a front end loader but with 1" pipe incorporated into the system.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sticks , be sure to put wet suit jacket /blanket, anything to weight down the cable.If that guy breaks it can cut you in half

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The store bought rock nets are junk. We make our own and use a couple basic designs. The first which is only for really large boulders is a simple ladder pattern the second is the best sling that you will ever use and can be found here

Then we also use the chain link for moving piles of cobbles.

P6240094.JPG Dredging 9-9-2006 035.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get chain link elcheapo at the dump. Ez to use,molds to rocks configuration and grabs in 1,000s of places for great holding power. Always use truckers straps to connect to winch as when cable snaps you get to be like 1 eyed Lanny with 400+ stitches on his gut also. SAFETY FIRST AND FOREMOST ALWAYS-John

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to search but found nothing here. Does anyone have a link or thread on building a good HD rock/boulder net? Many thanks.

If I am moving big boulders that are either out of the water or a portion of them is out of the water, I drill and use a Simpson Titen bolt (size dependent upon size of rock) where I screw it into the rock and then attach a winch attachement point to it to pull. I've given up on trying to sling round rocks that don't have anything to hook on to. Too much time spent on them having slings slip off. Just drill, bolt and pull. No fuss, no muss.

On the 8" plus cobbles, and bigger (in water) boulders (up to 4' in diameter), I cut out a piece of the military cargo net and use it. It's light weight, easy to move around, floats, and each webbing point can be pulled from, so it is infinitely adjustable.

On the smaller cobbles, I took Hoser's advice and brought in some chain link fence. But I don't think it is really very malleable, so I use the piece of cargo net on the outside of it to form a nice catch basin and it offers many pull points.

The cargo net I use is some sort of black, 20x20 net I think the military uses for helicopter lifts. Super durable, near next to impossible to cut (you need a razor blade cutting tool), and it lasts forever- especially considering the abuse it gets on each pull, abrading against all the rocks. And the beauty of it is I can cut many different sizes for different pulls.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG ya still beatn' on that rockpile ?? I haven't seen that military type cargo netting in years-who-what-where-how much?John

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG ya still beatn' on that rockpile ?? I haven't seen that military type cargo netting in years-who-what-where-how much?John

John, my whole canyon is a rockpile. I cannot do anything in there without moving big rocks- as a matter of fact, there is exponentially more boulders than there is cobbles. But guess what is under boulders that no one else has been under? Answer: More big boulders.... I am getting really good at moving big boulders.

I just went to the local army surplus store and bought it. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember how much I paid, but whatever it was, it was a bargain as that stuff is bombproof. Most durable stuff I have ever used, and it isn't hard on your hands.

Attachments

• Big BouldersL.jpg
    Big BouldersL.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, my whole canyon is a rockpile. I cannot do anything in there without moving big rocks- as a matter of fact, there is exponentially more boulders than there is cobbles. But guess what is under boulders that no one else has been under? Answer: More big boulders.... I am getting really good at moving big boulders.

I just went to the local army surplus store and bought it. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember how much I paid, but whatever it was, it was a bargain as that stuff is bombproof. Most durable stuff I have ever used, and it isn't hard on your hands.

big rocks = big gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread