Rock painting info please?

Lisa62

Mar 29, 2016
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock with red painting on it. It came from Del Rio area . I found this and several other tool paintings and carvings . I would like to know the meaning of this , and age if anyone knows ? It is 2" 1/2 x 1" 1/2 . :4leafclover: 20160327_112114_resized_2.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might mean someone did some painting with red paint close to that rock. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The Del Rio area covers a lot of ground, if you're talking about Del Rio, Texas that is. Where was it found? I mean the Pecos River area, the Devil's canyon area, that park area(Seminole Canyon), Lake Amistad, Ciudad Acuna or somewhere else. It looks painted by somebody, BUT (a) the paint isn't faded and (b) location is everything. Out in a cave or the park area, yes, it could be the wolf people, but like laying by the lake or a street in Acuna, then tamrock is right. Bright paint scares me, but who knows?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lisa62

Mar 29, 2016
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It came from a riverbed rock quarry that sells rock for landscaping ect in the Del Rio Texas area. Rio grand river. The red is faded on it . I did a little adjusting on the pic when I took the picture to try an make out the scene better. A few others with similiar type red on them but not scenes like this seems to have. Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good answer and it really makes a difference. Finding it in the Rio Grande means that it probably washed down from somewhere or was deposited during a flood. Now---I truly think that it's old and had been washed out and down to where you found it. Paint has been weathered, but it sure seems that the rock has been painted on by someone. I would guess native american. Maybe a kid or someone else doing a little art work. Maybe mom, maybe a kid. Could be anyone. Think it was done a long time ago. Seminole Canyon stuff looks the same. Nice find. It would take a real expert to verify this. Closest top people are at UT San Antonio. They were world famous at one time until Dr. Gunn went to the Carolinas(UNC I think) and Drs. Richard Adams and Ann Fox passed away in the last couple of years. People there now though are pretty sharp. If you get a chance, show it to them...

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What it could also be is a marker left somewhere during illegal entries into the US. It's quite common to make very small markers. For example, it might have been a marker to help find a stash of food/water, money, or even drugs.

Another possibility would be a geocache marker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread