rock with carvings

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy!? ? ?i'm a newby, don't know if the images will show up right or not.
i found this rock a few years ago. it was burried face down 4in. deep. in top soil.
the only answer to my queries has been "trail marker,? maybe spanish"
if someone has the knowledge please share.

Pictures%2Frock%20007.jpg

Pictures%2Frock%20004.jpg

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, no pic here either. The first thing I research when I find a carved stone is Indian encampments. There are many signs from hundreds of different tribes so it is'nt always easy to find the info. One thing I did find is that most medicine man sites had carvings with animals represented. Good luck and HH! Chris

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, still nothing, searcher. On my system the links take me to a blank white screen. Maybe others will have better luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can anybody see these?

if not, any suggestions?
for some reason the attachments won't work.

Upvote 0
G

Gold Digg3r

Very nice. even though i dont know what the hack they are, id say somthing ancient, i betcha u could get some money for those. are they some kind of metal? cause how did ur detector pick them up? or did u just run into them? but i think they are idian but very old go to an indian museum see if u can find anything like them, is that a triange in there? i like it anyways. HH GoldD

Upvote 0
OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes! someone can finally see these.
i found this while cleaning out my barn yard! then i m.d. it but didn't find anything.
there is a midden mound about 500 yards away but there were'nt any hits on my detector there either.
midden mounds are just trash anyway. HH

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you SURE these markings are carved and not coincidental markings from farm implements?Maybe someone picked it up out in the field and it ended up in the corner of the barnyard for some years.I don't know,it's hard to tell from the pics. :-\let us know.GOOD LUCK and HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when we bought the land no implements had been used in that area. it was covered in juniper.
we cleared it, fenced it in and put up a barn. over the next few years the animals compacted and moved the soil. every 6 months or so while doing regular cleanup i would remove rocks. while doing this i dug up (just saw the top) this rock. it would have originally been 4 to 6 inches under the top soil when we bought the land. it was carved side down. its composition is hardened caliche.
when i first dug it up it had dark markings in the grooves.(?) possibly from soil composition, staining.
it is too soft to use as a sharpening stone. the only thing this land was used for in recent times (early 1900's till now) was to harvest juniper for posts, and to graze animals.
i have a few more pics i'll try to post. thanks and HH

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
What is a midden mound? If you couldn't get a hit on the mound with a detector, what makes you think it is a trash dump ? A mound out in the middle of a field for no reason sounds like a burial mound, or Indian trash dump to me if you could not get any metallic hits out of it. Find any pottery shards or points around ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a midden mound is an indian trash mound.
i knew i wouldn't get any metal hits if it was in original condition, but someone had messed with it. i had no idea if they were just point collectors or something else. the area i live in has a lot of middens. it is rare to find one that is untouched.
of all the research i have done, nothing indicates that the natives at that time (when the middens were made) used any markers
like this, be it for trails, water, etc.
HH

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Wow, you are a lucky person then. I love finding Indian artifacts even more than metal detecting. Good luck in finding out what that marking is. I suspect it would have to be Indian related, maybe a stamp for pottery or some such.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe this is not indian in any way. i've tried to link it to some different caves near here. found no markings or anything. found a mountain lion skeleton in an old "caved-in", entrance the size of my fist, cave. lots of digging later.
still clueless, but hopefull. HH searcher

Upvote 0

beerdrinker

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2004
Where are you located? Any local history really? I have sent a copy of the pictures to a friend of mine that may be able to bring light to them, but more info would help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
searcher

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm in central texas. i haven't found any related history, or any other comparable markings.
there are a few tales of lost spanish pack trains in the area. also there was an old cavalry fort.
i've been md'ing the supposed rifle range.
the only reply from any of the locals is a raised eyebrow and a head waggle. one fellow said "possibly spanish"? ???
the area was settled in the early 1800's. there was a pack train trail somewhere near.
i'll try digging up some more history.
i have a small ceramic/clay bead/ball with two iron spots in it that look like wire.(no pics right now)
there is a finger print impressed into it on one side and what looks like fire markings. a friend said "maybe an old fishing weight"
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? thanks and HH? ?searcher

Upvote 0
J

Jacko

Try using a piece of paper and chaulk, to get a better veiw of what's on the rock

Jacko

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread