Roman Coins in Anza-Borrego Desert

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago, on a lark, I tossed six Roman Coins along the bank of Tule Wash (above the wash itself) in Anza-Borrego Desert. A few years later (2014) I briefly mentioned it in someone else's thread on finding a Roman Coin in the US. To my astonishment, only one person in five pages of posts even mentioned it in a reply, and not one person contacted me regarding it. HAHAHA

So now its nearing the end of 2021, and still I haven't heard from anybody about it, and I haven't seen anyone claiming to have found them. Its funny, because a person could literally drive to within 50 or 60 feet of them. After so many years, that person would likely need a metal detector to find them.

Anybody want some free authentic Roman Coins? It will cost you some time and gas! HAHAHA I'll post a map to their location, and if you send me a pic, I'll confirm it.

Tule Wash Coin Toss.jpg

If you are driving South along Highway 86, you take a right onto the road to the landfill. In a bit, it makes a sweeping right turn, then is straight as an arrow all the way to the landfill. Between the road and the wash. They should still be there.

Enjoy - Mike

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll send my cousin or my brother they live close one lives in Alpine the other in Julian. they both have detectors.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll send my cousin or my brother they live close one lives in Alpine the other in Julian. they both have detectors.
HAHAHA You're the only one that mentioned it in 2014 when it first posted! LOL Better get somebody on it. I was about to give the location to Pegleglooker. I think he still lives around Palm Springs.

Mike

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next time I head out that way, I'll take a look if they haven't been found by then. I just flew right over that spot yesterday! :laughing7:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let Pegleg go after them I didn't get a response back from my brother or cousin.

BonnyB

Feb 19, 2024
Many years ago, on a lark, I tossed six Roman Coins along the bank of Tule Wash (above the wash itself) in Anza-Borrego Desert. A few years later (2014) I briefly mentioned it in someone else's thread on finding a Roman Coin in the US. To my astonishment, only one person in five pages of posts even mentioned it in a reply, and not one person contacted me regarding it. HAHAHA

So now its nearing the end of 2021, and still I haven't heard from anybody about it, and I haven't seen anyone claiming to have found them. Its funny, because a person could literally drive to within 50 or 60 feet of them. After so many years, that person would likely need a metal detector to find them.

Anybody want some free authentic Roman Coins? It will cost you some time and gas! HAHAHA I'll post a map to their location, and if you send me a pic, I'll confirm it.

View attachment 1988357
If you are driving South along Highway 86, you take a right onto the road to the landfill. In a bit, it makes a sweeping right turn, then is straight as an arrow all the way to the landfill. Between the road and the wash. They should still be there.

Enjoy - Mike
I found one. Not there but in Octillo Springs campground
IMG_6339.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6340.jpeg
    IMG_6340.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6339.jpeg
    IMG_6339.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That looks to me to be a cast (not struck) fantasy, perhaps loosely copied from this bronze sestertius of Trajan from AD 104-107.

Trajan.jpg

Obverse: Head right, laureate, with slight drapery on far shoulder [AD. IMP CAES NERVAE] TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS [ ]
Reverse: Dacia seated left in attitude of mourning, on a pile of arms SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, with trophy before, SC in exergue below.

Stylistically, it’s wrong… in particular the portrait and even more so the lettering on the obverse.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just realised that another example of this 'coin' had been posted a while ago, and it had the word "SPECIMEN" on the obverse, in modern lettering:

Specimen.jpg

So, does yours, although I missed it because your picture is badly focussed:

Specimen2.jpg

As noted in that older post I linked to above, 'Numista' has it listed as a Mardi Gras token

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread