Roman Metal Working Site - Cru'dad Solo - Day 9...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly I've had a bit of a set back with my physio as I can't do any due to a mini flare up that I'm still nursing. Not sure when I can attempt another hunt.:dontknow:

This is actually Saturday's hunt for 4 hours on a random field & then the Field of 500 which only ended up with a few buttons, broken buckles & 2 scrappies.

Yesterday Cru'dad returned to the Roman Metal Working Site for 4.5 hrs & managed:

20 Scrappies
2 Roman Hob Nails (plus a lost one)
2 Iron Age Fibula (Brooches)
1 Roman Hair Pin Frag.
Plus a Silver Plated Roman Coin explain by Cru'dad below:
''The coin was an experimental denomination issued in AD312, called a Base Silver Argenteus or Centenionalis by Constantine I, at Trier containing 25% of silver – supposedly tariffed at 100 to the gold solidus (hence the name Centenionalis).

However, it was soon abandoned and that denomination name resurrected in AD318/9 to a small billon coin of similar appearance but containing only 2-3% of silver. There were also issues made for Maximinius II and Licinius with different Reverse designs at the same time at the Trier mint also subsequently abandoned. This is our first Constantine I silver we have ever found and rare to get as so few made. Unfortunately mint exergue has been corroded away as an STR type is very rare as opposed to PTR as rare. Reference: Sears 15859 and RIC VII TR 208a (where it is wrongly dated) as it should be in RIC VI featured with TR 826''

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4a.JPG
5.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 21

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice selection, and well done Cru'dad for pulling up another first.
Take xcare of the knee Cru.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds - congrats !
It seems like UK guy's find the more common copper Roman coins -like we find Wheat Cents here in the US !

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Cru'dad! Congratulations on the many finds! Sorry to hear you are down Cru. May your recovery gowell and fast.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly I've had a bit of a set back with my physio as I can't do any due to a mini flare up that I'm still nursing. Not sure when I can attempt another hunt.:dontknow:

This is actually Saturday's hunt for 4 hours on a random field & then the Field of 500 which only ended up with a few buttons, broken buckles & 2 scrappies.

Yesterday Cru'dad returned to the Roman Metal Working Site for 4.5 hrs & managed:

20 Scrappies
1 Roman Hair Pin Frag.
''The coin was an experimental denomination issued in AD312, called a Base Silver Argenteus or Centenionalis by Constantine I, at Trier containing 25% of silver – supposedly tariffed at 100 to the gold solidus (hence the name Centenionalis).

However, it was soon abandoned and that denomination name resurrected in AD318/9 to a small billon coin of similar appearance but containing only 2-3% of silver. There were also issues made for Maximinius II and Licinius with different Reverse designs at the same time at the Trier mint also subsequently abandoned. This is our first Constantine I silver we have ever found and rare to get as so few made. Unfortunately mint exergue has been corroded away as an STR type is very rare as opposed to PTR as rare. Reference: Sears 15859 and RIC VII TR 208a (where it is wrongly dated) as it should be in RIC VI featured with TR 826''

View attachment 1997930 View attachment 1997931 View attachment 1997932 View attachment 1997930 View attachment 1997931 View attachment 1997932 View attachment 1997935 View attachment 1997936
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your setback, Cru. Hope you heal up soon.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

20 Scrappies
1 Roman Hair Pin Frag.

View attachment 1997930 View attachment 1997931 View attachment 1997932 View attachment 1997930 View attachment 1997931 View attachment 1997932 View attachment 1997935 View attachment 1997936
Phenomenal! Congrats to CruDad!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take care of that knee. I've found that I heal much slower as I get older. Give yourself enough time. Regards.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like UK guy's find the more common copper Roman coins -like we find Wheat Cents here in the US !
Yes, if those UK Guy's know where to hunt.
This Site is in the top 2 (soon to take over the No.1 spot) of our near 50 Roman Sites we have found, so it has plenty of Roman scrappies. However, on some of the lesser sites these 20 scrappies would make up 25% of all the coins we have ever had off them. So there are big swings between a really good site & a poor one. For example the difference between 1600 & 100. It it pretty much goes without saying no Roman Site = No coins (albeit the odd random)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the recovery comments.
When the medical services are re-opened, I will seek advise on a further operation to take out the metalwork or not.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread