Roman Metal Working Site - Cru'Team - Day 19 - Hammered + CELTIC SILVER...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally the soil was dry enough not to stick on our boots & spade. Perfect conditions; dry on top wet underneath. This helped us to do our longest hunt in a while - 5.5 hrs.
We are still doing a large area grid & finally it paid off as I hoped it would. We would have been happy with the hammered Lizzy but I also got the Celtic Silver by pinching it off Cru'dad's run.
We are finally entering no-mans land (previously not gridded)
We are planning 2 more outings & then we will move to Fan's Roman Site in February.

9 Scrappies - a surprise being so far from the Site!
5 broken 1st C AD Iron Age/Roman Brooches - one odd Hod Hill Variant
1 & a Half Roman Nail Cleaners
Lead Tudor Button
1575 Lizzy Threehalfpence
Very Rare Celitic Silver Unit of Tasciovanus's first coinage of 25-20 BC
(Great condition):headbang:

1.JPG

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 35

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader congratulations on another fantastic hunt. The hammered Lizzie is amazing by our standards, but the Celtic silver is far more outstanding by any standard. It does pay to cover ALL the ground because you never know where the goodies are hiding no matter how much research you do. As always your hard work and knowledge of the area has paid off. This is truly a banner hunt and I hope you get enough votes to make it. Thanks for sharing, stay safe and keep swingin. :wav:

P.S. Glad your ground is good. Things are so frozen here you would need a jack hammer to make a dent in the ground. I canโ€™t wait for it to warm up.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best of the best! Would you call that a "silver stater" or does it even go by a specific name? Is it the size of a gold quarter stater? That horse is fantastic! Now go out and find a Henry III gold!!!!
It's just called a Silver 'Unit'. (A name given when they don't know the true denomination, as the Celts wrote nothing down)
About the size of a Qrter Stater at circa 13-14mm.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally the soil was dry enough not to stick on our boots & spade. Perfect conditions; dry on top wet underneath. This helped us to do our longest hunt in a while - 5.5 hrs.
We are still doing a large area grid & finally it paid off as I hoped it would. We would have been happy with the hammered Lizzy but I also got the Celtic Silver by pinching it off Cru'dad's run.
We are finally entering no-mans land (previously not gridded)
We are planning 2 more outings & then we will move to Fan's Roman Site in February.

9 Scrappies - a surprise being so far from the Site!
5 broken 1st C AD Iron Age/Roman Brooches - one odd Hod Hill Variant
1 & a Half Roman Nail Cleaners
Lead Tudor Button
1575 Lizzy Threehalfpence
Very Rare Celitic Silver Unit of Tasciovanus's first coinage of 25-20 BC
(Great condition):headbang:

View attachment 2005928

View attachment 2005929 View attachment 2005930 View attachment 2005931 View attachment 2005932 View attachment 2005933 View attachment 2005934
Not too shabby...
Another hunt...and a pinch. :)

Cru'dad is due for a find!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Cru: I've noticed that you and others use the term "scrappy" for what looks like a small, Roman hammered coin. Is that correct, and how did the name originate? I've searched but have not found an answer.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru: I've noticed that you and others use the term "scrappy" for what looks like a small, Roman hammered coin. Is that correct, and how did the name originate? I've searched but have not found an answer.
Most UK people call Roman Bronze Coins with very little detail - ''Grots''. Cru'dad & I name these coins Scrappies because of there condition. So it's a made-up name. A pet name if you will because every Scrappy gets treated the same way (British Museum Standard) as a better example ie:
GPSed (& put on a map)
Measured shortest & longest diameter
Thickness
Weighed
Condition notes
Details of letters visible of each Obv & Rev
Head Type on Obv
Rev Type
etc....

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. Descriptive name! Now I know why I couldn't find anything about the name. Feels good to know! Seems somewhat similar to the North American "toasted" description of badly corroded coins, except I've seen applied to any type of coin and some buttons. I like "scrappy" better.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Descriptive name! Now I know why I couldn't find anything about the name. Feels good to know! Seems somewhat similar to the North American "toasted" description of badly corroded coins, except I've seen applied to any type of coin and some buttons. I like "scrappy" better.
Yeah, we don't tend to used the term 'toasted'.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds CONGRATS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread