Roman Metal Working Site - Solo Cru'dad - Day 3 + 4 + 5 - RARE ROMAN ALTAR...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dad is continuing his solo hunt of the Roman Metal Working Site.
Yesterday he had finish 3 more hunts with the following hunt times:
2.5 hrs - 8 scrappies
5 hrs - 17 scrappies
4.5 hrs - 7 scrappies
Our smallest Roman coin ever at circa 6mm. (Cru'dad hoovering up all the small stuff previously missed)
Plus a Celtic Fibula
2 Broken Roman Rings
Roman Hair Pin
Bits of Roman Brooch
4 Roman Hob Nails - Helps prove our theory about the Site being Military controlled.

Although good finds are not so forth coming anymore he did find a very rare miniature Roman Altar. I've never seen one before but knew what it was straight away;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/887826
The closest match to our design is only a fragment:

They are so rare I thing they have jumped to conclusions, stating they are associated with a Temple or a Fort. Our Site is neither. I believe these would be portable, as well as used in large Roman houses in a private shrine.
Therefore, it could be there in any of the Metal Workers houses, made at the Site, or there to be recycled & melted down like many of the other broken objects we find there.

Congrats to Cru'dad for adding another 'first' to the collection.:metaldetector:8-)
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 41

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2.5 hrs - 8 scrappies
5 hrs - 17 scrappies
4.5 hrs - 7 scrappies
Plus a Celtic Fibula
2 Broken Roman Rings
Roman Hair Pin
Bits of Roman Brooch
4 Roman Hob Nails - Helps prove our theory about the Site being Military controlled.

Although good finds are not so forth coming anymore he did find a very rare miniature Roman Altar. I've never seen one before but knew what it was straight away;

They are so rare I thing they have jumped to conclusions, stating they are associated with a Temple or a Fort. Our Site is neither. I believe these would be portable, as well as used in large Roman houses in a private shrine.
Therefore, it could be there in any of the Metal Workers houses, made at the Site, or there to be recycled & melted down like many of the other broken objects we find there.

Congrats to Cru'dad for adding another 'first' to the collection.:metaldetector:8-)
View attachment 1992596 View attachment 1992597 View attachment 1992598 View attachment 1992599
Tremendous recovery on the mini altar. Definitely a first. Congrats

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That altar is a fantastic find! Big congrats to Crudad! :icon_thumleft:
There are some known here, found in forts with the same theory being portable and used in small (private) shrines. One found on a villa site here would make it a treasure find. A metal working site is a bit special, but that didn't take away from this being an ultra rare find!
Congrats on the other finds too! Interesting to see how tiny this altar is!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That altar is a fantastic find! Big congrats to Crudad! :icon_thumleft:
There are some known here, found in forts with the same theory being portable and used in small (private) shrines. One found on a villa site here would make it a treasure find. A metal working site is a bit special, but that didn't take away from this being an ultra rare find!
Congrats on the other finds too! Interesting to see how tiny this altar is!
This landowner generally doesn't volunteer info to the Archies (although we have persuaded them to do some important stuff), but I'm fairly sure that this one might be considered of National Importance.:dontknow:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This landowner generally doesn't volunteer info to the Archies (although we have persuaded them to do some important stuff), but I'm fairly sure that this one might be considered of National Importance.:dontknow:
So that means you can't report to your FLO? Thats a shame. I know you have to be true to your word...
We have some farmers expect not to tell someone about our finds too.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.5 hrs - 8 scrappies
5 hrs - 17 scrappies
4.5 hrs - 7 scrappies
Our smallest Roman coin ever at circa 6mm. (Cru'dad hoovering up all the small stuff previously missed)
Plus a Celtic Fibula
2 Broken Roman Rings
Roman Hair Pin
Bits of Roman Brooch

View attachment 1992596 View attachment 1992597 View attachment 1992598 View attachment 1992599
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that means you can't report to your FLO? Thats a shame. I know you have to be true to your word...
We have some farmers expect not to tell someone about our finds too.
All landowners have to agree to report Treasure to the FLO, or we have no agreement.
We could report it (non-treasure) with permission, but actually we do very little reporting to the FLO even with permission. They couldn't keep up even before COVID, & they still haven't even opened up properly since the first lockdown. They tried to shut us all down, if you remember. (To save on the backlog)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.5 hrs - 8 scrappies
5 hrs - 17 scrappies
4.5 hrs - 7 scrappies
Plus a Celtic Fibula
2 Broken Roman Rings
Roman Hair Pin
Bits of Roman Brooch

Now that is outstanding! 😍

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, I haven't been on T net in awhile but nice to see what Cru'dad is recovering... always a treat...take care...

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Roman altar is sweet
Congrats