Romano-British (Pagan) Cremation Burial with Goods...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our plan was to continue on the Roman Lion Site today, but as we drove past one of our permissions, we noticed they had disced up the stubble. It was a high risk idea but I wanted to do a big grid in the next field to the Roman Metal Working Site. We have never had very much finds on there (no Roman), only the odd Medieval bit but I had a good feeling about it. With more effort there maybe a Celtic Gold, but it's a long shot.
It wasn't long before I got a very iffy signal, nearly ignored it but I knew it wasn't iron. After digging down nearly 18 inches, I hear the cracking of the Samien ware as I nicked the top of a piece sticking up. Immediately I slowed my roll, knowing that the signal, pretty large by this point was amongst this 1-2nd C pottery. Hoard crossed my mind but I excluded this option as they didn't put coins in high status table ware.
With some further careful digging, with a screw driver & our mini rock hammer (don't have a trowel in the car, but will from now on), we uncovered 2 broken glass vessels, some iron from the mirror handle, the Samien Ware with Makers Mark & as soon as we saw the ashes & tiny bits of bone we stopped, filled it in & GPSed it. Rang Land-Mag, our detecting partner who rang our Archaeologist Friend & we are awaiting advice. Maybe he will use it with some trainees he was going to train on one of our other Sites.
We did 4.5 hours on that field with only a Tudor Clothes Fastener, debased Hammered Groat of Henry VIII & bits, so we moved to the Metal Working Site & got 11 Roman Coins in 1 hour, then met Land-Mag to show him the spot.

1.JPG

2.JPG

DSC09172.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our plan was to continue on the Roman Lion Site today, but as we drove past one of our permissions, we noticed they had disced up the stubble. It was a high risk idea but I wanted to do a big grid in the next field to the Roman Metal Working Site. We have never had very much finds on there (no Roman), only the odd Medieval bit but I had a good feeling about it. With more effort there maybe a Celtic Gold, but it's a long shot.
It wasn't long before I got a very iffy signal, nearly ignored it but I knew it wasn't iron. After digging down nearly 18 inches, I hear the cracking of the Samien ware as I nicked the top of a piece sticking up. Immediately I slowed my roll, knowing that the signal, pretty large by this point was amongst this 1-2nd C pottery. Hoard crossed my mind but I excluded this option as they didn't put coins in high status table ware.
With some further careful digging, with a screw driver & our mini rock hammer (don't have a trowel in the car, but will from now on), we uncovered 2 broken glass vessels, some iron from the mirror handle, the Samien Ware with Makers Mark & as soon as we saw the ashes & tiny bits of bone we stopped, filled it in & GPSed it. Rang Land-Mag, our detecting partner who rang our Archaeologist Friend & we are awaiting advice. Maybe he will use it with some trainees he was going to train on one of our other Sites.
We did 4.5 hours on that field with only a Tudor Clothes Fastener & bits, so we moved to the Metal Working Site & got 11 Roman Coins in 1 hour, then met Land-Mag to show him the spot.

View attachment 2046903
View attachment 2046904
View attachment 2046905
View attachment 2046906
View attachment 2046907
View attachment 2046908
View attachment 2046909
Nice hunch Cru',
Look forward to seeing what the archeologists turn up... fascinating discovery!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be an interesting one to follow.
Thanks for the image of the shovel for scale.
I'm not familiar with "Samien ware". Is it a high quality style used for burials?

EDIT: Found "Samien ware" on Wikipedia. Here's the link for those unfamiliar but interested.

Terra sigillata

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Saves. Congrat's.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did 4.5 hours on that field with only a Tudor Clothes Fastener, debased Hammered Groat of Henry VIII & bits, so we moved to the Metal Working Site & got 11 Roman Coins in 1 hour, then met Land-Mag to show him the spot.

View attachment 2046903
View attachment 2046904
View attachment 2046919
View attachment 2046905
View attachment 2046906
View attachment 2046907
View attachment 2046908
View attachment 2046909
That is an awesome group of finds. Coin in bottom row, 2nd from R looks vaguely like one posted today by Va Dave - Roman coin?

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2046903
View attachment 2046904
View attachment 2046919
View attachment 2046905
View attachment 2046906
View attachment 2046907
View attachment 2046908
View attachment 2046909
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!! Canโ€™t wait for more details after Your Archeologist Friend excavates it:)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be an interesting one to follow.
Thanks for the image of the shovel for scale.
I'm not familiar with "Samien ware". Is it a high quality style used for burials?

EDIT: Found "Samien ware" on Wikipedia. Here's the link for those unfamiliar but interested.

Terra sigillata

It was an expensive import from Southern Gaul (France) & was probably chosen for the burial to represent this 'ladies' (mirror points in this direction) status & maybe her finest dining set. Maybe her favourite, we will never know. It has a makers mark, name of Gaulish potter, so can be dated, fairly easily. The 2 glass vessels may have been perfume. All the items point towards, a lady that had leisure time & wealth.
The pottery used ion burials varied a lot, so it was whatever the family chose, not just samien.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunch Cru',
Look forward to seeing what the archeologists turn up... fascinating discovery!
So was he, he was wanting to rush back from a family holiday. He was very interested because its outside the settlement and we are guessing it's close to a road or crossways. It maybe part of a group nearby that has no metalwork, or on its own. It would be nice to find and record a small group with other pots etc...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome group of finds. Coin in bottom row, 2nd from R looks vaguely like one posted today by Va Dave - Roman coin?
Not sure I saw that post, can't remember, sorry.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a real different recovery-and refill (reburied)
Not getting the age/era of this discovery Cru.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always interesting finds Cru, any plans to do some preliminary restoration on the glass vessels? :icon_scratch:
Love this piece as well.
Dave

View attachment 2046985
How can he do a preliminary restoration when it was refilled again.
I think it was covered up with dirt/reburied-GPS'd (as stated by Cru)
Not sitting in the finds pouch

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can he do a preliminary restoration when it was refilled again.
I think it was covered up with dirt/reburied-GPS'd (as stated by Cru)
Not sitting in the finds pouch
We have some of the loose glass from the fill in the pictured tub(we left the rest in place) , but it will be given to the Archies to solve.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader can you tell us what program on your 2 you use and any modifications to it ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread