Rome NY area lost gold

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I lived in Rome for 13 years... never heard of lost war gold there.

I assume you're talking about the Rev. War?

nmarsh

Oct 23, 2006
Whiteboro,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,DetectorPro Pirate
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think she is thinking of the story of General Ledger's(not sure of the spelling of his last name) burying a small chest of gold as he was retreating from the battle of Oriskany.It was thought that it might be buried in one of the farmers fields in Rome,NY.I would google "The Battle of Oriskany" and check the library for books on the battle.There are at least 2 of them.

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
I heard the gold was payroll or something and sealed in the barrel of a cannon and buried in the swamp along old rt 69 and had been found
not sure of the truth to the find just what I heard

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
numnydar said:
I heard the gold was payroll or something and sealed in the barrel of a cannon and buried in the swamp along old rt 69 and had been found
not sure of the truth to the find just what I heard

That woulda been a helluva thing... if that happened it outta be in the locals papers... maybe a google search?

The cannon alone woulda' been awesome!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Post Punk
this post is two years old but if you can tell me what county Rome is in i`ll look it up in my United Stats treasure Altas
Gary

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Rome is in Oneida County. The area is swampy all over the place, and the best bet at a map would be a period map. Clinton's ditch (The Erie Canal) was dug through there, the black river ran right next to Fort Stanwix and is long paved over, and the Mohawk River runs nearby. There is a lot of creeks and water and streams and swamp...

Good luck searching.

Quidnunc

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rome is in Oneida County. The area is swampy all over the place, and the best bet at a map would be a period map. Clinton's ditch (The Erie Canal) was dug through there, the black river ran right next to Fort Stanwix and is long paved over, and the Mohawk River runs nearby. There is a lot of creeks and water and streams and swamp...

Good luck searching.

Hello, Montana Jim - I know this is my first post here (lurking awhile, though) and I hate to nitpick, but the Black River runs well to the north and a bit east of Rome. It starts up in the Herkimer County town of Ohio, the north and middle branches enter into North Lake, the south branch into South Lake, they join not far south and when the river enters Oneida County and forms the division between Forestport to the north and Remsen to the south, it makes a sharp right and flows northward to Watertown and empties into Lake Ontario. Interestingly enough, also at the north end of North Lake is Ice Cave Creek, in Ice Cave Valley, along the western foot of Ice Cave Mountain and it is at Ice Cave Mountain where Dingle Dangle Jones is reputed to have found "lots" of gold... I know, old hat but --

I was a surveyor for a good many years and we did a lot of work along Rte. 69 in the vicinity of the Oriskany Battlefield and around Fort Stanwix. If you're going to be in that neck of the woods, pick a season without bugs and make your life infinitely easier. The old abandoned Erie Canal, swamps, creeks, flood pools from the Mohawk River and the Oriskany Creek and all manner of small feeder streams make it a mosquito nightmare. Yellow jackets seem to swarm up from every rotten log and old railroad tie. Not to mention, get permission from landowners first; even though we were always well within our legal rights to be wherever we worked, we more often than not had heated encounters with landowners and those who thought they were. Sometimes what a treasure's worth is measured by what you have to go through to get it. Sometimes, it's not worth it at all.

>clink! clink!< <---two cents added.:2barsgold:

Last edited:

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
I researched treasure stories for ages and was also able to overlay some british maps of the area into google earth of the rome area which showed general location of 5 forts including stanwix
The gold story was payroll as the brits fled from stanwix trying to get to canada.They followed a route that is pretty much what is the present old route 69 and ditched the cannon in the swamp along that route
But the problem is that anyone from the area know that the whole area is swamp

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
I researched treasure stories for ages and was also able to overlay some british maps of the area into google earth of the rome area which showed general location of 5 forts including stanwix
The gold story was payroll as the brits fled from stanwix trying to get to canada.They followed a route that is pretty much what is the present old route 69 and ditched the cannon in the swamp along that route
But the problem is that anyone from the area know that the whole area is swamp

Although this isn't related directly to this story of Fort Stanwix in Rome, NY, it is amazing how the name of the old fort gets around. Butterfield's Stanwix Stage Station (1858-1861) in Western Arizona was named after the suburb in Rome that was the second ward in 1858. The post office in this suburb was called "Stanwix" and, of course, was named after the fort. Marcus Kinyon, one of the executives of the line named the station Stanwix as he was from there. He named the next stage station just east of Stanwix Stage Station "Kinyon's" after himself. Many of Butterfield's other employees were from Utica, Rome, Oneida, Mohawk and many other towns in Upstate, New York. That is why when you drive through Arizona you will see some New York State names.
Also, John Butterfield, the owner of the line, was from Utica.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From the United States Treasure Atlas vol. # 7...Oneida County
448A... Retreating form a battle in 1777 British Colonel Barrie St.Leger buried a war chest containing 20,000 pounds Sterling in gold sovereigns in an open field somewhere during his retreat from Rome to Oswego.

448B...Many residents of the Mohawk Valley believe the Leger treasure was cached near Rome ,possibly near the site of old Fort Schuyler.

448C...Others claim the Leger treasure was cached along the route of his retreat,inthe fields along Hwy. 59,perhaps 5-10 miles n of Rome.

448D...Still others speculate the Leger treasure is cached at Ft. Oswego

Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread