jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Set out this morning... Drove over an hour only to get skunked. Hard. Found renewed determination and decided to head south towards home. Decided to stop at the only "advertised" sale I had marked for the day (the rest being cold calls and following signs). Man did that final stop pay off! Finds for the day:

-2 bags of flatware all marked as silver plated = a pile of OLD unmarked coin silver and a bunch of other pieces clearly marked "sterling"
-a handful of old watches. watches are something i had all but given up on after making a couple bad buys. these were cheap and i could CLEARLY see that one of them was marked 14k and i saw some names i knew had some value. ended up with a men's hamilton masterpiece (gf), a men's bulova self winding, another men's hamilton (plain gf), a few ladies watches, some other vintage but cheap watches, and the 14k gold "lady hamilton".
-small 14k pendant (0.5 grams)
-in box "launch" bw compatible ps3 (this is the most valuable standard issue ps3)
-some video games and accessories

Overall picked up 0.5g of 14k and 4.5oz of coin silver and 5.5oz of sterling! A great day.

Attachments

• IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 109
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a very nice day, congratulations! :occasion14:

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to stay positive and optimistic, but remember, Faith, Hope, and Great Expectations, never leave home without them. Great watch scores! Very nice Hamiltons.

artslinger

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. It’s funny how you talked about being positive as I ran into a slump at about 915 yesterday morning and gave up and went to my sisters house. Yard sales are winding down here due to the heat and the pickings were super slim. Now you are making me regret it LOL

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I’d be all over that coin silver myself! See if you can get a makers mark off of some of those spoons. Again, we’ll done! ☠️

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Ben. I still look for watches. Just haven't found any worth buying lately. Love the silver finds. You guys are lucky in the northeast when it comes to finding coin silver flatware in the wild. I haven't found a piece down here in many years, other than at high dollar estate sales. This past weekend was the slowest all year for me.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Ben. I still look for watches. Just haven't found any worth buying lately. Love the silver finds. You guys are lucky in the northeast when it comes to finding coin silver flatware in the wild. I haven't found a piece down here in many years, other than at high dollar estate sales. This past weekend was the slowest all year for me.

I guess I do take it for granted. I find more coin silver than any other kind of silver. People often overlook it because it is usually not marked with anything besides the maker's hallmark. Another one of those things where having actual knowledge (mostly thanks to research and support from sites like this one) gives you an advantage over all the other schmucks who just go for the low hanging fruit (stuff clearly marked sterling or 925).

It is like finding 585 gold. That was thanks to Tnet members who taught me that. Of course, over the years you can learn by "eye" what to look for, but knowing the little tips and tricks really gives you the upper hand.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spoons are sweet. Jealous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread