round top mountain legend?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a small story online that on round top mountain some explorers where attacked by Indians and hid there gold in a cave only one survived to tell the story, anyone know if there's any way to verify this story the website didn't really give much info and claimed that the survivor made a map which is in the library of Congress, however another website claimed many have asked for the map and the library of Congress has said they never had it. Anyone else heard this story?

tracker444

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2015
Gastonia NC
Detector(s) used
+Fisher 1236x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the book North Carolina Sketches by Clarence Griffin it appears he got this information from "The Forest City Courier, Forest City, Sept. 29, 1938
I think that article is telling about a searcher shortly after the turn of the century who had a map but gave up because of "the erosive forces of nature"
The great flood of 1916 did a lot of damage to Hickory Nut Gorge then in 1927 they built Lake Lure.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the book North Carolina Sketches by Clarence Griffin it appears he got this information from "The Forest City Courier, Forest City, Sept. 29, 1938
I think that article is telling about a searcher shortly after the turn of the century who had a map but gave up because of "the erosive forces of nature"
The great flood of 1916 did a lot of damage to Hickory Nut Gorge then in 1927 they built Lake Lure.

Thanks for the info.

tracker444

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2015
Gastonia NC
Detector(s) used
+Fisher 1236x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure ASU in Boone has the micro fish of this old news paper I have debated riding up there to find out. This lost Gold was supposed to be based upon fact.

tracker444

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2015
Gastonia NC
Detector(s) used
+Fisher 1236x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done any searching for this one neo ? If they hid the gold in a cave and covered it with rocks then the floods could make it ripe for the picking but if they threw it into a ravine then the floods could have forced it downstream or buried it even deeper. I hope to get up to Appalachian State some time soon to find that article.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done any searching for this one neo ? If they hid the gold in a cave and covered it with rocks then the floods could make it ripe for the picking but if they threw it into a ravine then the floods could have forced it downstream or buried it even deeper. I hope to get up to Appalachian State some time soon to find that article.

Not yet but one day.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering is there any truth to this tale since the story doesn't give any names? Who was the group and who survived to tell it?

Jan 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering is there any truth to this tale since the story doesn't give any names? Who was the group and who survived to tell it?

I found a name of the supposed Englishmen who went blind in a book but haven’t found the book that the information came from again.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's a good place to find old wagon routes from around round top? I'm hoping to find one from the 1800s i imagine they couldn't have been to many roads back then.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the local historical society from that area just messaged me they don't have those maps and don't know where to obtain them.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking online seems there's only one main road through that area. I'm guessing it's probably the same route as back then. Not sure where the toll booth would have been though.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've been up there several times over the years, most recently about 4 months ago. Grew up in the TN foothills of the Smokies, now live in Charlotte but frequently travel to TN via Asheville and occasionally will take the Parkway to detour and explore the mountain communities.

This is earliest (1940) version of the story I've found looking on the internet . I'll take a look in the Charlotte City library next time I'm there.

Our State Magazine

The area used to be extremely popular in the mid-20th century but Lake Lure Resort was the only one of many proposed resorts slated to be built here (financiers backed out of further development for some reason). All the caves (deep fissures) are on Rumbling Bald (east side of Round Top) but there was a big earthquake in 1874 so who knows if the original cave still exists today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to but probably will never get the time right now. Heads up im still new to t hunting no real experience. I wouldn't even know where to begin lol.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new guys always have beginners luck and stumble onto the gold....you guys should try !!

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to find some time when it's warmer out.

bcole223

Dec 4, 2021
anyone interested in this please contact me I have urgent amazing information facts to me and I know things people don’t know about this and I’m am going to pursue this ASAP need one person I can trust and someone that has plenty of resources for this adventure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread