Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were very fortunate to be out digging this time of year and it may be coming to a close shortly. hunthicks and I went back to the new site from last week and decided slow the pace down and listen for those iffy signals. Well it worked out for the best and when the grass is all down in the Spring it will be like a new site again,now to convince the farmer he needs to plough it...
I managed to dig 4 RP's this time around beating my old record of 3 last week... Also dug another Vickie 5 cent piece,2 1919 LC's...I can't get over how many Vickie silver's I dug this year. I dug more silver this year than the past 12 years combined. I'm sure another sweet relic will surface from this site. Also managed this small pewter button in mint shape! Thanks for looking..
RP 1.jpg RP 2.jpg RP 3.jpg RP 4.jpg RP group.jpg

pewter flower.jpg 1891 five cents.jpg 2015-11-29 Group.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh you guys are killing me with all of these early military buttons. Super jealous sad little man here bud. Great hunts you've had. Keep it up until we can dig no more brother

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a pretty good day! Lots of buttons to be had there yet I'm sure. Glad we were able to get out again, the weather hasn't been that bad yet. Calling for plus temps after the forecast snow, maybe we'll be out again yet!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

You've had a killer season and great going on some more keepers.

Regards + HH

Bill

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be nice to look at such a large group of finds and try to decide what your favorite is. You have a huge fistful of buttons there!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic hunt again Patriot!!
Man I want a RP button soooo bad!
I always look forward to your posts..
Hope you can make it out a few more times..
I definitely learned about them iffy signals today..
George

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys dig RP pewters like I dig fishing weights
0clip_image002.gif
Quite a hunt Patriot- is the finial item pictured on the lower right picture a scabbard tip? Found a similar one at my British camp earlier this year.

Thanks and yes it is a scabbard tip...found several of these over the years...

Fantastic hunt again Patriot!!
Man I want a RP button soooo bad!
I always look forward to your posts..
Hope you can make it out a few more times..
I definitely learned about them iffy signals today..
George

Thanks George, the great thing about digging those early buttons is you know there is something nicer in there somewhere and why we should slow down and remove some of that iron as wellโ€ฆ.

Steve,

You've had a killer season and great going on some more keepers.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks Bill, I have been blessed with one heck of year and it will be hard to top

Oh you guys are killing me with all of these early military buttons. Super jealous sad little man here bud. Great hunts you've had. Keep it up until we can dig no more brother

Well maybe one day you can make it up this way and get your chance at a few, could do an exchange huntโ€ฆ IP mentioned it beforeโ€ฆ

You had a pretty good day! Lots of buttons to be had there yet I'm sure. Glad we were able to get out again, the weather hasn't been that bad yet. Calling for plus temps after the forecast snow, maybe we'll be out again yet!

I think if we get out again, we should be looking at that plan I mentioned yesterdayโ€ฆ

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that little "fancy" button too. Are the RP's losing interest for you, after having found so many ?
Just curious you mention your silver count, how many you up to ? I'm having my worst silver coin year yet, 2 coins total , and one is modern.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd love to dig an RP button but they seem to all be in the Great White North. Great hunt and nice Vicky fish scale. Only after digging one do I have such a appreciation for them Canada 5centers

Congrats

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Man!
If that's what digging 'iffy' is all about, I think I'm hoing into my next hunt with a new perspective!
Thats seriously a really good hunt based on the fact you guys already put in a couple of hours each there!
Great job, the RPs seem to be flying out of the ground there!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great results on the buttons, liking the small pewter one also. Get out while the season is holding, getting frosty here -10 yesterday in the morning and -5c already this evening but they say +7 again in a day or so.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, with all the buttons you guys are finding, , it's a wonder anyone was able to keep their clothes on back in the 17 & 1800's. lol
Congrats on a great hunt.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Believe it or not it has been quite unlucky because being in the RP zone as much as a few of us have, we should have found better buttons... better meaning any other Loyalist button other than an RP.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys dig RP pewters like I dig fishing weights :laughing7: Quite a hunt Patriot- is the finial item pictured on the lower right picture a scabbard tip? Found a similar one at my British camp earlier this year.

Wow you have dug almost 50 fishing weights? ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that little "fancy" button too. Are the RP's losing interest for you, after having found so many ?
Just curious you mention your silver count, how many you up to ? I'm having my worst silver coin year yet, 2 coins total , and one is modern.

I doubt they would lose interest for two reasons. The first being it's a Rev War button, and 2nd, most of us are still looking for a real nice one!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not it has been quite unlucky because being in the RP zone as much as a few of us have, we should have found better buttons... better meaning any other Loyalist button other than an RP.

How scarce are these RPs. They seem to jump out of the ground for some of you. Im assuming they're the most common loyalist button?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How scarce are these RPs. They seem to jump out of the ground for some of you. Im assuming they're the most common loyalist button?

That's really tough to answer. They are much tougher to find in the US than here because the ones lost there were at camps, battles, etc.. where as here it was where the Loyalists settled (just home sites). But also keep in mind it's not like you can just go to any old site and find them, you have to be on something settled from about 1785 to 1790 to give yourself the best chance, and most who detect in the Maritime provinces will likely never find an RP button. It is definitely the most common, it's not even close really because this was a generic type button worn by the privates in several units. So even though you have the bragging rights of having found a Rev War button, it's nowhere near as good as the other Loyalist buttons where you know the unit and history. That's why I said it was unlucky because some of the others often show when you are popping RPs.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome buttons!! Great relic finds !!! Congrats HH

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Some of you" are making it look too easy for sure, (which it's NOT) MANY hunters have none, and I after 8-9 years have one. Location, location...and I've been on plenty of old sites, Military stuff just eludes me.

This my grand total of pewter military (hope you don't mind P.)

IMG_1735.JPG

Just thought of something, for some shoe buckles jump out of the ground, don't mean they are easy either. They seem to have hot spots, like ME, CT, and RI. And the same people find the most of those, you, HMN, and johnny B. For most everyone else, everywhere else they are a tough find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions