RPPC Parade at unknown location

Dutchgriffon

Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Recently received these rppcs made by AZO circa 1904-1918. I was wondering if anyone knows if these are from wwi or pre-wwi. Also if anyone has any idea to the location and event I would love to hear about it.
IMG_20210219_175152.jpg

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some digging on the store sign "Riegler's" in the upper picture.

Here's one possibility on the location...

Henry and Julia Riegler owned the Riegler Confectionery in downtown San Antonio, located at 231 E. Houston Street. Julia was a native Texan and considered to be a pioneer businesswoman in San Antonio, managing the confectionery for twelve years. Her daughter Lillian Utley maintained the business in part after her death in 1922.

Source: San Antonio Express, April 18, 1922

Can't confirm this after looking at a current view of this location on Google Maps.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see "OHIO" on a sign in the lower picture...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another idea...

In the lower picture, there's a music store with the name "GOG AN"! The missing letter in the word is behind the flag. The building also has the word "MUSIC" on the building.

I googled "GOGGAN" and found this...

THOMAS GOGGAN AND BROTHERS. The historic firm of Thomas Goggan and Brothers of Galveston and San Antonio (and other branch offices) was the oldest and largest music house in the state and arguably the best-known Texas piano company. Irishman Thomas S. Goggan moved to Texas with a complete stock of musical instruments and by 1866 opened his original retail store at the corner of East Market and Twenty-second Street in Galveston.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's safe to say your picture is from Texas...

A branch was opened in San Antonio about 1883, and the firm's name changed to Thomas Goggan & Bros., when Goggan took into business a younger brother, Mike, born about 1854 in County Kerry, Ireland. Mike Goggan, who was working as a clerk in the Galveston store in 1880, assumed charge of the San Antonio store, which grew in importance as a center of distribution, especially because El Paso and Amarillo were good markets for the firm. The San Antonio store, called Goggan Palace of Music, was located at Broadway and Travis in the early twentieth century, and sold radios, phonographs, records, sheet music, and string and wind instruments, as well as all manner of pianos, from uprights and grands to player and reproducing pianos. The piano brands sold were nationally famous: Steinway and Sons, A. B. Chase, Schumann, Weber, Aeolian, Duo-Art, and also "Goggan." The store used the slogan "Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil" and was a meeting place for many music celebrities.

By 1885 Goggan ads announced the firm as the "largest piano house in Texas" and the "oldest music house in Texas." Nevertheless, the company's history is sketchy. City directories indicate the San Antonio store changed addresses at least twice, though the Galveston headquarters apparently remained at its original location. Branch offices also opened in Dallas, Waco, Austin, and Houston. According to his obituary in the San Antonio Express (November 27, 1914), Mike Goggan left the company and established himself in independent business in San Antonio after the deaths of his brothers (Thomas, 1903, and John, 1908), by which time the family firm had been incorporated and he had severed his connection with it. The Texas State Gazetteer and Business Directory for 1914–15 identifies Mrs. John Goggan as president of Thomas Goggan & Bros., Incorporated, with Thomas S. Goggan (a son of Thomas) as vice president and secretary. The directory also listed Mike Goggan's Musical Goods, located at 225 E. Houston in San Antonio.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first photograph appears as a stock picture in the ‘alamy’ digital library with the caption “World War I Soldiers at intersection of Houston and Navarro Streets, San Antonio, Texas circa 1919”. It’s currently the 21st picture at the link below:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/world-war-i-soldiers.html

It’s definitely San Antonio and taken no earlier than 1913. At the right is the “Princess” theatre, with a façade that matches the architecture of the Princess in this picture of Houston Street.

Houston St.jpg

The theatre opened at 215 E Houston Street in 1912, but was originally called the “Orpheum” and wasn’t renamed as the Princess until the following year. It operated under that name until it closed in 1929 and became a department store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread