53.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 868G STERLING6.JPG
    868G STERLING6.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 194

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! It is beautiful! 868g? Incredible score!

Artslinger

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score. It’s from Juventino Lopez Ryes of Plateria del Recreo, established in 1935. From 1948 onwards the Mexican government began promoting (unsuccessfully) the reintroduction of eagle marks to identify manufacturers until they were abandoned in the 1980s and replaced by a letter and number system. Ryes did ultimately use an eagle mark alongside his own ‘JLR’ monogram, so I would think this is probably not later than the 1950s.

It's a desirable maker and, although the most collectable pieces are those in modernist and abstract styles, I would think it should still do better than melt.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice amount of silver there from a noted silversmith. Mexican pieces are very often nice, heavily made pieces. I recall once reading or someone told me, even though they are marked with a purity 925/1000 or Sterling, they can often be a higher purity grade than what is marked.

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Good score. It’s from Juventino Lopez Ryes of Plateria del Recreo, established in 1935. From 1948 onwards the Mexican government began promoting (unsuccessfully) the reintroduction of eagle marks to identify manufacturers until they were abandoned in the 1980s and replaced by a letter and number system. Ryes did ultimately use an eagle mark alongside his own ‘JLR’ monogram, so I would think this is probably not later than the 1950s.

It's a desirable maker and, although the most collectable pieces are those in modernist and abstract styles, I would think it should still do better than melt.
Thank you so much for that info. It's a great score for me I know.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a few years back I picked up a “store brand” marked Sterling coffee set from Eddie’s of Mexico Plateria. It wasn’t the most desirable style but it did sell within 3 days for 99% of melt value which was substantial.

that dish/bowl is much more attractive then what I had so it should go quick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread