jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Konnight's home near the town of Ramapo appeared abandoned, but he was sometimes seen wandering in the woods and appears to have cut his own firewood, the police spokesman says.

{Newser) – An elderly man found dead near his ramshackle rural home in New York state had millions of dollars in the bank but appears to have valued his solitude more than luxuries like plumbing or heating. George Konnight, 79, had lived in the same home with his sisters since childhood and had recently banked $3 million from the sale of 31.5 acres of property. Both sisters died of heart attacks in the last two years. "He lived a very simple life, hermit-like," a police spokesman says. "He had his attorney and another man looking in on him now and again. He was alone."

Rural NY Hermit Was Secret Millionaire - Recluse's only overhead was taxes

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Reminds me of a family in my hometown of Tunkhannock, PA. They were the Burgess family. Eventually, they all passed on/moved away except for Minor Burgess. The man kept to himself on the outside of town in the home that he was raised in. The place was overrun with dilapidated farm equipment from earlier generations and overgrown vegetation. The place was a dump and downright spooky. As kids, we would ride past his property on bikes as fast as our feet would crank the wheels in fear of Minor catching us. Eventually, his place caught fire. Fire department responded and witnessed Minor tossing bags of cash out the windows as he didn't trust banks. The man was a millionaire and no one realized it.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jeff!! Interesting Story!! Yea, that's what they keep saying about me!! He He!! Hope your ankle is better!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread