Russel trade post(fur trade) located on eastern side of missisippi river about one mile north of where sauk river flows into missisippi.

tedcunningham

Greenie
Aug 16, 2022
There is a trailer park there now along the missisippi river in sauk rapids mn. While visiting the area i learned from locals that russell trade post was there. Minnesota has a complicated ownership history, and the people in that area could have been British, french, native american, or american... i cant seem to find any info when researching this place. I asked local museaum and they had one photo of a man next to the sighn reading russel trade post. If anybody can refer me to a book, some fur trade documents, or any info that would be great!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The earliest settlement was established in 1848 by David Gilman in Watab.
Minnesota Territory 1849-1858 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, September 1, 2022

5. Minnesota Territory 1849-1858
(looking north along 1st Street North • Benton County Historical Society in background)
He established a trading post at that place. Jeremiah Russell arrived in 1849 to take charge of the American Fur Company's trading post in Sauk Rapids. Settlement expanded into the interior of the county in the eighteen-sixties and seventies. Yankees and immigrants from several European countries settled in the county in the nineteenth century. The most predominant ethnic group was the Germans, who developed the area around Duelm and Mayhew Lake. The second largest nationality represented in the county are the Polish. "Alberta Colony" was promoted by several prominent Poles in Chicago. It grew quickly after 1877. The Scandinavians are the third largest group; they settled mainly in the southern and eastern parts of the county. Smaller groups of Irish, Belgians, French, and French-Canadians had small settlements

(https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=205213)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread