S.F. Bay Area - Getting started with my new MXT

B

butthedd

I just purchased an MXT that I'm dying to take for a spin within a 50-75 mile radius of San Jose. I've got 12 weeks of down time while I recover from shoulder surgery (but hey, the other arm still works!) Area beaches (Santa Cruz, Ocean Beach, etc.) are the most intriguing at the moment since the wife loves shell collecting, but I'm open to any suggestions, cautions, or other useful info anyone might wish to share with a MD newbie would be greatly appreciated! Contact info for any clubs in the area would also be very helpful ???

butthedd

OP
OP
B

butthedd

Thanks a bunch! I saw that they had a meeting last night but I wasn't able to make arrangements to get there (darn it!) I'll be there next month.

In the meantime, does anyone know whether LE will harass you for coin shooting at Ocean Beach in S.F. or Santa Cruz Municipal (Boardwalk) beaches?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What's "LE"?

All Santa Cruz area beaches (all of Monterey Bay's beaches) are open, with no restrictions. The only beaches in CA, that I've heard of, where there's ever been any type of restrictions (and enforcement), is Stinson beach north of SF, and the beaches under the domain of the "Golden Gate National Recreation Area". But that's because those are federal beaches, as opposed to most all other beaches, which are state, county, and city. Apparently only fed is the only one who has issues.

But with that said, I've heard of a guy that detected those fed. beaches, in full of anyone and everyone, at-will, for as long as they cared, and no one ever said anything to them. Yup, in full view of rangers even. It came as quite a shock to the fellow when I told him "hey, I thought Stinson was off-limits?" He didn't even know that :) It was only then, that he realized why he'd been scarfing up on so many good finds (coins as fast as he could dig them in some places), was that the locals had just thought it was "off limits", haha

I don't know if this stopped him from going after that, as maybe by then, he figured no one cared?

OP
OP
B

butthedd

Thanks for the valuable information, Tom :)

p.s. "LE" = Law Enforcement (an acronym used on some discussion boards)

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hmm,

I heard a metal detector guy grumble a bit about the fed and park police up around SF beaches.

I have been up to ocean beach, not metal detecting, and really do not see much of any city police. As for the Feds or Park, I think if you are cautious about the time you go and stay away from the Cliff house that is near Seal Rock you wont be bothered.

Problem is the the whole area falls under Golden Gate Recreation area.

There could be some "civic" minded politically correct neurotic citizen who feels that they need to protect California's heritage from greedy and plundering (that's us) individuals who would steal from the greater good; that he thinks he/she is in charge of.

But, tell them (he or she) to either push off their panties are showing, or just explain you are a history professor volunteering your time for the GGR historical society and the museum. For fun you can have a camera and have them pose with any of the finds; that could even make them an "accomplice." ::)

Don't even think of trying it up at the Presidio; I think there will be so many people on top of you before you even turn the machine on.

Have fun with the metal detecting; I am green with envy, I am still saving to get one.

OP
OP
B

butthedd

Thanks GN. I think I'll avoid the GGRA since there are so many other areas that are wide open for shooting. I found the guys at the Treasure Hunter shop in Campbell to be a great resource for identifying many of those areas. Next month I'll be joining the Santa Clara Valley club that I've already found to be a great bunch of folks. They have a hunt scheduled for Sept. 16 that I'm looking forward to.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
butthedd said:
Thanks a bunch! I saw that they had a meeting last night but I wasn't able to make arrangements to get there (darn it!) I'll be there next month.

In the meantime, does anyone know whether LE will harass you for coin shooting at Ocean Beach in S.F. or Santa Cruz Municipal (Boardwalk) beaches?

Welcome Mr butthedd!!! (nice handle! ;D) I just came across this post, sorry I didn't see it sooner. I hunt the Santa Cruz Main Beach (Boardwalk) pretty regular, or at least I did during the summer months when there was more to find. As has been stated before, all our beaches over here are pretty much unrestricted. Hope to run into you someday, HH!!
Oh, and that store on S.Bascom in Campbell is pretty interesting, quite a group of characters!

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hey Butt,

I was trying to recall who you were, the guy that lives around Santa Cruz and just got a detector.

Look at my posting today under the Ghost town section in Misc.

It is called Two ghost towns rise out of the water...

The towns of Lexington and Alma will be revealed by June 2008 when they drain the reservoir.

Also, a story about a very famous and evil murder in Lexington. But no mention of what happened to the gold.

When the ground is visible you might find some really nice stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread