Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you are extremely careful with those trade dollars.. Some of those fakes are very good..I am sure you know what you're doing though.. Have a great time..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]"Sabattical"[/h]isn't that between the
Pancreas and the

Spleen ?

Have Fun :icon_thumright:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The Silver panda counterfeits are even more prevalent than trade dollar fakes possibly.

As far as coins go:

Keep all XF or higher 1,2, and 5 fen coins from 1982 or before. I think these will go higher in the future, as aluminum reacts with the air (like zinc). The highest worth date in XF from all of those is the 1957 1 fen, worth $3.50 in XF. Also, keep all 1987 1 jiao in XF or higher, they fetch a dollar in XF (all 3 designs). Other than that, if you come across any proofs, keep them.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FT you will have a blast, what city are you going to or is it a multiple city trip down the yangtze river?? When are you going?? take pleanty of entertainment and snacks as it is a 13.5 hour flight.

I lived in Chongqing for 2 years. (was Chungking) during WWII and General George Stillwells and the flying tigers time there.

FYI a lao wai or old foreigner can not go into a chinese bank and buy the silver panda coin. My wife had to produce her ID card in order to buy them. They have a certain mint only released to the chinese citizens called the peoples silver as the government is trying to get people interested to save thier wealth in silver coins. Mine were about 360 RMB each a little less than 60 bucks. Have your translator or guest buy them for you.

Dont buy from street vendors they will rip you 4 to 5 times what they would sell to a chinese person for. If I wanted anything I would touch it pick it up and squeeze it, this was a clue for my wife to buy it as she can get it cheaper. Have your host / interpreter buy for you.

If you have any questions or concerns I would be happy to answer them via pm.

a few words to know...
xie xie sounds like she she = thank you
wo yao - I want
wo eh le - im hungry

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FT you will have a blast, what city are you going to or is it a multiple city trip down the yangtze river?? When are you going?? take pleanty of entertainment and snacks as it is a 13.5 hour flight.

I lived in Chongqing for 2 years. (was Chungking) during WWII and General George Stillwells and the flying tigers time there.

FYI a lao wai or old foreigner can not go into a chinese bank and buy the silver panda coin. My wife had to produce her ID card in order to buy them. They have a certain mint only released to the chinese citizens called the peoples silver as the government is trying to get people interested to save thier wealth in silver coins. Mine were about 360 RMB each a little less than 60 bucks. Have your translator or guest buy them for you.

Dont buy from street vendors they will rip you 4 to 5 times what they would sell to a chinese person for. If I wanted anything I would touch it pick it up and squeeze it, this was a clue for my wife to buy it as she can get it cheaper. Have your host / interpreter buy for you.

a few words to know...
wo yao - I want
wo eh le - im hungry

What about "I want beer"? :icon_thumleft:

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Enjoy yourself!! I went to Beijing in 1998 and loved it. I hope you get your Panda coins. My great-grandmother bought me a couple in the 80's and they are a very interesting coin. How long are you going to be there? I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gei wo bai juo

bai juo = beer
huang juo = whiskey / rice wine

be easy on me my pu tong hua is poor

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to go to a bank, and see if they have any rolls of coins, just for the fun of it. you might be C/H/R'n and find maybe a cent, or a quarter, and it will be for the fun of it. Do they even use rolls in China?

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The Silver panda counterfeits are even more prevalent than trade dollar fakes possibly.

As far as coins go:

Keep all XF or higher 1,2, and 5 fen coins from 1982 or before. I think these will go higher in the future, as aluminum reacts with the air (like zinc). The highest worth date in XF from all of those is the 1957 1 fen, worth $3.50 in XF. Also, keep all 1987 1 jiao in XF or higher, they fetch a dollar in XF (all 3 designs). Other than that, if you come across any proofs, keep them.

Thanks! I had no idea what if any Chinese coins were collectible. I did find a Hong Kong dollar proof last time.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

a few words to know...
wo yao - I want
wo eh le - im hungry

Going to be in Beijing most of the time, with a side trip to Zhanjiang for a few days, and possibly take the train to Tianjin. This will be my fifth trip, so I'm getting pretty jaded by now.

Good to know about not being able to buy the silver pandas by myself, but my brother-in-law works at a bank there, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the offer of help, I may well PM you. :icon_salut:

I've had people ask me if I'm going there for business or pleasure, and I've been responding "it's not for business, but I'm going to be staying with my mother-in-law for 2 weeks..." :laughing7:

HH!

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have taken 3 biz trips over there. Big cities are fine, but dirty. Go out for a jog and blow black out your nose and wipe soot off your face.

If you have a bland stomach like I do bring an emergency box of granola bars, etc with you. Food can be very spicy and or greasey. Only drink booze - stay away from the water (like Mexico) - not the best filtration over there.

I would absolutely not buy any silver over there. Prices won't be any lower and they love to rip off tourists. Take my word for it - stay away. Same thing buying down in Mexico. You think you can get a deal, but better chance of getting ripped off.

Best of luck and have fun.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Beijing and Qingdao in 2008. Had a blast! take the train if you can and see the chinese countryside. Cicada's on a stick are delicious. The black scorpions you can get at the night market will cure even the worst hangover

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SilverForBrains said:
I went to Beijing and Qingdao in 2008. Had a blast! take the train if you can and see the chinese countryside. Cicada's on a stick are delicious. The black scorpions you can get at the night market will cure even the worst hangover

Your way more adventuresome than I was!!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck FT, keep us posted while you're out there, if you can. I'm sure the CRHer in you will draw you to some banks while you're there, hope you find something good to tell us about while you're there! Hh, Maverick.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can find some sks web gear. If you get it cheap enough you could turn a nice profit in the USA.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well, I struck out with the Silver Pandas alright. Went to the Bank of China and ICBC two days ago. At the first place, was quoted 350 RMB - about $56 - as the lowest price one they had, a 2013. At the second place, I wised up, or so I thought, and sent my wife and mother-in-law in ahead of me. Same story. The banks there sell them as collector's items, not as bullion. The 2011 and 2012 coins were selling for 400 and 500 RMB respectively. I thanked everyone involved, and left empty handed. It would make a nice souvenir, but I can't see ever turning a profit with one outside of China.

No luck on the coin shop front either; everyplace is closed because of Chinese New Year. Sounds like a war zone outside with all the fireworks going off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread