Safari hits my best coin find yet

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

Realized I never posted this in the safari section, so I wanted to do so now. It’s important that everyone knows how freaking amazing of a beast this machine is.

Found this two weeks ago, along with the flying eagle (1857). A piece of American history, or so I’m reading. It’s a New Jersey copper coin from 1787. Only made these for a couple of years and then stopped. It was made right before the first official coin was ever minted.

Couldn’t be more proud of this find. Believe it or not, out of the years of metal detecting, I had yet to find a coin older than 1940.

I posted the video of me finding it on my YouTube channel I just started. My name is The Fix Treasure Hunting if you want to see it in action.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526293228.277838.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526293246.035410.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526293256.235326.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526293271.577918.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526293281.878568.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526293380.758108.jpg

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BrettCo124, Congrat's on the find of the copper. That is one great piece of American History that you have found. It is funny coming across this post. I posted just a few minutes ago on another forum in the Safari thread concerning the Minelab Safari. I am a relic hunter from Georgia here, and I have in the past done a lot of research on the Safari. Then comes the new Equinox. I have been hoping that we may see a little price reduction on the Safari since the release of the Equinox and the fact that the Safari is not waterproof same as the Equinox. (Not knocking the Safari). I am more of a land relic hunter anyway. What are your thoughts on owning and swinging the Safari? If I were to buy a Minelab today it would be between these two models. For now the Safari is still about a $ 200.00 more than the Equinox 800.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BrettCo124, Congrat's on the find of the copper. That is one great piece of American History that you have found. It is funny coming across this post. I posted just a few minutes ago on another forum in the Safari thread concerning the Minelab Safari. I am a relic hunter from Georgia here, and I have in the past done a lot of research on the Safari. Then comes the new Equinox. I have been hoping that we may see a little price reduction on the Safari since the release of the Equinox and the fact that the Safari is not waterproof same as the Equinox. (Not knocking the Safari). I am more of a land relic hunter anyway. What are your thoughts on owning and swinging the Safari? If I were to buy a Minelab today it would be between these two models. For now the Safari is still about a $ 200.00 more than the Equinox 800.

Hey there,

I’d recommend going with the equinox 800 but only because the weight of the safari can be exhausting after a while, and the equinox has a faster recovery speed. Seems like the equinox is just an all around amazing machine. If the safari was completely waterproof, I’d say go with safari because I own it and can say it’s a beast. I love my safari. But I wouldn’t pass up the equinox 800 if I had to choose today.

You can’t go wrong either way. I know that doesn’t help much, but go with your gut and make the purchase based on your needs. Equinox is lighter, waterproof, has amazing gold recovery, backlit screen, etc. Thats why I’d go with equinox today.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful coin. Congrats on a great find.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the contrary, this does help and give me something to think about. I always like to hear from folks who own and use certain models and what their thoughts and reviews are on certain models. I appreciate you taking the time to give an honest opinion. Thanks again, and Continued Success to you.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, congrads!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the contrary, this does help and give me something to think about. I always like to hear from folks who own and use certain models and what their thoughts and reviews are on certain models. I appreciate you taking the time to give an honest opinion. Thanks again, and Continued Success to you.

You’re welcome. You won’t go wrong with either choice. So if your heart is set on the safari, get the safari. It’s a monster. Everyone here will tell you that. Get the equinox if you want something lighter and fully waterproof. Honestly you won’t go wrong. I’m going to eventually get the equinox 800, possibly in the next few months. It will compliment my safari as my in-water machine.

For my research, I’ve found from other users that they’d tell me the safari can do exactly what the ctx3030 can do, minus the bells and whistles that I’d probably never use anyways. But now I’m hearing people say they’d trade in their ctx3030 for the new equinox because it’s THAT good.

That leads me to believe you can’t go wrong with either choice. I think they are both monsters.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice old coppers! :occasion14:

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

Realized I never posted this in the safari section, so I wanted to do so now. It’s important that everyone knows how freaking amazing of a beast this machine is.

Found this two weeks ago, along with the flying eagle (1857). A piece of American history, or so I’m reading. It’s a New Jersey copper coin from 1787. Only made these for a couple of years and then stopped. It was made right before the first official coin was ever minted.

Couldn’t be more proud of this find. Believe it or not, out of the years of metal detecting, I had yet to find a coin older than 1940.

I posted the video of me finding it on my YouTube channel I just started. My name is The Fix Treasure Hunting if you want to see it in action.

View attachment 1589980
View attachment 1589981
View attachment 1589982
View attachment 1589983
View attachment 1589984
View attachment 1589985
Hi I have a SAFARI also, what earphone do you use ? I like the RPG's that came with my safari. But i am on the second pair cause the wire in the phone gets pulled just putting them on. I am trying to find a pair comparable to RPG's, but have had no phones close. Got a Jolly Roger set, but can't hear them with backround noise very good. They do not make very many phones for a SAFARI at a good price, that are loud enough to be heard over backround noise. My RPG'S sing out loud on dimes, I can tell when I hit a DIME on the RPG's, or a quarter. Last I found RPG's were about 50$.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Hey all!

View attachment 1589980
View attachment 1589981
View attachment 1589982
View attachment 1589983
View attachment 1589984
View attachment 1589985
Congrats Brett

Great finding, thank you for sharing

👍🏽

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin! Word of advice: might want to find a holder with a foam outer ring to keep it firmly in place. I put my oldest coin in a holder like that (1749 Farthing) and it flaked a little from all the rattling around.

Cool patina on that thing, you don't want to lose it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...nice coin...congrats sir !!

Top Member Reactions