Salt Lake Valley Picture 1900 - 1901 Info Needed

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Salt Lake Valley Picture 1900 - 1901[/h] Got this old picture of covered wagon on trail, artist signed ??? Young 1900 ( I cannot make out the first name.) When I took it apart it says Salt Lake Valley
and on the bottom left (as careful as I was trying to be) it tore and all I can read is Tribune Apr. 14, 1901. Also there is another black & white picture that was
in the frame (pleasant surprise). On the back of the covered wagon picture there is some writing which I cannot make out..any ideas?
Does anyone happen to know the first name of the artist, the name of the tribune (I looked under the Salt Lake Tribune) but was unable to find any info for the
date of Apr. 14, 1901. The picture paper is very thin and shows it's age, the other picture is thicker paper.
Any information is appreciated..................Thanks to all in advance..

Salt 1.JPG ..... Salt 3.JPG ..... Salt 4.JPG ..... Salt 5.JPG ..... Salt 6.JPG .... Salt 7.jpg .... Salt 8.JPG

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help on the artist, but the fencing costumes would also date to about 1900 and the following years. That style of costume was worn by Marguerita Sylvia in the painting “L’Escrimeuse (The Fencing Girl)”, by Jean Beraud and then popularised by Florenz Ziegfeld who purchased copies of it for his actresses to wear in various Broadway shows from 1900 onwards.

Lots of studio portrait photographers carried versions of the costume as wardrobe plus fencing props for well-heeled ladies to play dress-up when having their picture taken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread