Salvage agreement for metal detector?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of hunt would warrant such a legal agreement, yet not be worth hiring an actual attorney?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a situation that I have never cared to get into.
Who is going to determine the value of the relics? How are they going to be split? Is each person going to pick what they want? Or are you going to sell everything and split the money?
The only way I would do something like this, is if I knew for a fact that there was enough value on the property to be able to hire a lawyer to execute a proper contract and know that I would still have enough money left over to make it worth my while.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a situation that I have never cared to get into.
Who is going to determine the value of the relics? How are they going to be split? Is each person going to pick what they want? Or are you going to sell everything and split the money?
The only way I would do something like this, is if I knew for a fact that there was enough value on the property to be able to hire a lawyer to execute a proper contract and know that I would still have enough money left over to make it worth my while.

Exactly. There are so many questions and potential issues. It's best to either ignore them (and feign ignorance) or hire a legal professional to help you CYA. Remember, if you hire an attorney and they miss something, you have a potential legal malpractice claim against them. That's some pretty strong motivation for them to not only do a thorough job, but find a way to compensate you or make you happy if they screw up.

Then there are the issues of what happens if you damage something (or they think you did)? Who pays for the damage? Their property insurance company? Your insurance (assuming you have umbrella coverage)? What if you get hurt? Who's insurance kicks in? Things get even more tricky when commercial activity is involved, which is what an insurance company of a personal and non-commercial policy is bound to make.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think,.....there was a time when it was just a hobby.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And to think,.....there was a time when it was just a hobby.

That was a time when many people were honest and lived by a code of honor and integrity.

Now, it's a "what's-in-it-for-me" society.

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a time when many people were honest and lived by a code of honor and integrity.

Now, it's a "what's-in-it-for-me" society.

For the most part I have to agree and that's too bad.

Carl

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading an older book that said this was a good idea but seems like it's not. What should I do after asking a property owners permission and then assuming I find something.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was reading an older book that said this was a good idea but seems like it's not. What should I do after asking a property owners permission and then assuming I find something.

This is what I would do. Not saying you should do it, but here's how I would approach this situation.

I'd speak with the owner to get the permission. During this process, I'd be reading this person to see whether they're the honorable or greedy and litigious type. I'd only hunt their property if I not only got permission, but didn't get a sense that they would go back on their word, sue me or anything like that.

As for what to do about the finds, I would tell them I will show them everything I find, but I get to keep whatever I find. If they ask about keeping what I find (or some variation, like a 50/50 split, right of first refusal, etc.), I'd tell them they're more than welcome to join me in the hunt, but things get too complicated if we start discussing details. If they don't like this arrangement (either explicitly or implicitly through a subtle change in tone, body language, etc.), I'll just walk away and find somewhere else to hunt.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put myself in the place of the Land owner.
If someone approached me & Asked me to Sign something , I'd say no !
& If they tried a second Time I'd Warn them about Trespassing !

On the Other Hand, IF I approached a Land owner about Hunting for Something, I'd offer to Split

(Gentleman's Agreement)

If the Land owner brought up the idea of a Legal Contract.
for reasons of safety from lawsuit if I get Hurt, or value. I'd consider it,
IF I feel it is Worth it to Me.

I Would not Sign a Contract that says I Will leave things as I Found them.
Less then Honest Land owners can Always find a broken Blade of Grass that
needs a Professional Landscaper to satisfy them

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My picking up the trash on their property is their payment....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread