San Jose Island

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Yes it is accessible by boat, private vessel or there is a ferry that runs. Not sure if the ferry is seasonal. Beach is open to MDing as far as I know. If you go by ferry its several hours before the boat returns so take plenty of water, food, sunscreen and a first aid kit.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they get really angry and arrest you if you venture further than the small beach area. Someone said they had armed guards that patrol the boundry line to make sure no one trespasses. Lots of fishing weights can be found along the beach area and in the water. The ferry is the way to go, a lot cheaper than filling up the boat with gas.

OP
OP
O

Onesimus

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for the responses, I'll keep that whole private property/armed guards thing in mind. But what about by kayak? Is it too far for that? (Mind you I live a good hour or so away so I'm not that familiar with the location.)

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kayak that area from time to time fishing. I don't believe a kayak for where you want to go is a good answer...reasons:1) Shrimpboat/ship channel that you have to cross...especially in that area is very busy and lots of current. 2) Once you get over to the island you would either have to abandon your kayak till you came back or take it around or over the jetties...very tough. Your call but the Jetty boat is just too convenient for me...especially at the price.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah if you kayak it you are braver than I, I did the kayak across the adjacent channel and I promise you the boats aim for you. Then fighting the wind and current, its a long stretch to go. I've seen a couple do it, but you can tell they were fed up and exhausted and so relieved when they reached the other side. They do have kayak trails in the shallow across the channel with markers and all and it seems to attract a good number of people but take the boat ferry better all the way around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread