Jovan421

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters had a question. I have a metal sand scoop that was given to me as a present. Its the metal type with holes with a handle on the top but not a pole type handle.Just a handle to hold the scoop. Its galvanized metal so it is very strong. My quesiton is if anyone has any ideas as far as putting a handle on this so i will be able to use it standing up? it has the small handle but i still have to drop to a knee to use it. I will be going to the store to see if i can get something to attach a long stick handle to it. Open for any ideas. Thanks

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can take it to a metal shop and have handle welded on, but im telling you it still will not be very good for in the water or for digging wet sand, they arent designed properly for that, they are designed for digging in dry sand. Metalshop will charge you labor rates plus the handle, you would be off using that money towards buying a good scoop.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tomorrow , when I get to my work 'puter , I'll post a pix of how I did mine. I customized it with a wrist cradle (like how a parapalegic persons cane would fit ) & added a pistol grip (sort of like how the yesteryears md'ing "hip-mounts" looked .). I'll have the pix @ tomorrow to post here .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
pix

Here's 2 of mine (the second one is my backup scoop). As you can see, it has an arm-cuff, and a pistol grip. It's very important to have the measurements of these (distance apart), in such a way that the weight/torque is not on the center of your arm. It's got to be measured in such way, that when you grip the grip, that the cuff is back a bit closer to your elbow, so as to disperse the torque/weight of your down-strokes.

And the angle of the basket (relative to the pole) is very important. It's got to be in such way that when you flip this around, so as to take down-strokes to dig, that relative to your height, the basket meets the ground in such a way as to be at the right angle to the ground, without your having to bend over, or contort your arm, to get the angle.

And the length of the entire long handle (from pistol grip to the basket) must be not so long that it drags the ground as you walk. Lest you subconsciously have to always be lifting it, to carry it. It should be *just* to where it's off the ground, when your arm is relaxed at your side (so, of course, this will all be dependant on how tall you are, your arm length, etc....).

2012_04_24_18.54.41.jpg

Tomorrow , when I get to my work 'puter , I'll post a pix of how I did mine. I customized it with a wrist cradle (like how a parapalegic persons cane would fit ) & added a pistol grip (sort of like how the yesteryears md'ing "hip-mounts" looked .). I'll have the pix @ tomorrow to post here .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
oh, and one other thing: This setup will put a LOT of stress on the rod, when you go to use it. So make sure you have something akin to carbon fiber strength rod (that's the composition that high-end light-weight bicycles are made of), or an extremely hard wood (d/t wood is going to be lighter weight than metal). I have suffered a lot of bends and breaks in mine, in my attempts to get them perfected. I had to add in splints, hose-clamps, etc.... The problem there becomes, that eventually the tool can get too heavy, if you start beefing it up too much.

You can probably find all the components to customize your long handle (or short-handle) scoop like this, by going to one of those medical supply stores that deals to handicap people. You know, the stores/pharmacies that sell canes, walkers, crutches, etc..... Some of the canes they still have in-built forearm cups like this, and pistol grips already there, etc....

OP
OP
Jovan421

Jovan421

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your help and ideas especially Tom in CA for the awesome ideas and even better the pictures. This is a interesting idea. Im the kind that likes to get into projects like this. Ofcourse the easiest fix would be to go and buy a new scoop. Im trying to work with what i have for now. Once i get some finds together then i can pony up and get new stuff. thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread